Tobacco Peer Support Specialist
- 2278 Ellsworth Rd, Ypsilanti, MI 48197, USA
As the only comprehensive AIDS service organization in its Michigan ten-county area, UNIFIED's mission is to provide HIV related services to the community through compassionate direct care, prevention and outreach activities. We invite you to explore UNIFIED and learn about HIV testing, the depth of services UNIFIED provides and how you can get involved.
Rooted in the history of our fight against HIV, UNIFIED - HIV Health and Beyond advances prevention, access to health care, community research and advocacy
A nationally recognized multi-service center creating positive change through regional impact, innovation and sustainability to promote HV health and beyond.
Using innovative approaches to help residents of Southeast Michigan living with or affected by HIV achieve optimal health through compassionate direct care, support services, prevention and education.
A commitment to being an effective and powerful voice, providing leadership and advocacy for the communities we serve.
The peer support specialist will act as a champion for TURP in the office and work with the Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS) in Ypsi and Detroit to support the clients and their success in creating a tobacco-free lifestyle both before and after their quit attempt.
- Provide follow up support to clients who are in the maintenance stage of change (30 days or more tobacco-free)
- Provide MI (Motivational Interviewing) interventions to clients who are in the pre-contemplative and contemplative stages of change, to assist the client through the stages of change
- Refer clients who are ready to create a quitplan to the TTS for more intensive support
- Collaborate with the TTS in regards to clients who have made it to the action stage of change, in order to ensure seamless communication and support when referred from PSS to TTS
- Assist TTS as needed with prepping programming materials, and occasionally co-host group sessions
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the Case Managers
- Assist with screening clients for tobacco use and conduct mini interventions when it makes sense
- Provide long-term maintenance support to clients who have been quit for 30 days or more who would like continued follow up support and accountability to remain tobacco-free.
- Provide MI interventions with clients who are in the pre-contemplative and contemplative stages of change, in order to assist the client along the stage of change and refer the client to TTS when the client moves to the preparation and action stage (is ready to create a quitplan).
- Occasionally support the TTS with TAQ groups and/or other psychoeducation programming.
- Document conversations with all clients in CW
- High School Diploma required
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Complete the 40 hour TTS training as well as basic and advanced Motivational Interviewing training
- Attend at least one webinar once a quarter in order to stay current on trends and best practice in regards to Motivational Interviewing and Tobacco Treatment.