Harm Reduction Specialist
- 2287 Ellsworth Road Suite B, Ypsilanti, MI, United States
UNIFIED-HIV Health and Beyond is a nationally recognized multi-service center creating positive change through regional impact, innovation and sustainability to promote HV health and beyond.
Using innovative approaches to help residents of Southeast Michigan living with or affected by HIV achieve optimal health through compassionate direct care, support services, prevention and education.
A commitment to being an effective and powerful voice, providing leadership and advocacy for the communities we serve.
The Harm Reduction Specialist has the following primary duties:
- Provide HIV Counseling, testing and referral services.
- Provide Harm Reduction (syringe access) referrals and services.
- Provide assistance to Lead Harm Reduction Specialist as it relates to Youth and Substance Use grant.
- Provide substance use educational sessions to school age youth.
- Conduct and facilitate outreach and prevention/harm reduction workshops to selected target populations in various venues.
- Participate in UHHB Prevention Programs activities including; outreach events, community and group educational events, distribution of HIV/STI informational and risk/harm reduction materials, and other field assignments as required.
- Assist with the development and marketing of program/services to targeted audiences.Provide data entry and documentation into contractually mandated systems.
Minimum BA/BS degree in human services. Equivalent related work experience
will be considered. Equivalent work experience with harm reduction and syringe access is preferred. Current HIV Prevention & Testing certification through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) preferred.
Experience working or proven ability to effectively work with and communicate with diverse communities of sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, and cultures:
- 1-2 years working with HIV
- 1-2 years HIV prevention and/or outreach experience preferred
- 1-2 years with work syringe access and/or substance abuse and/or harm reduction preferred
Basic knowledge of HIV/STI information. Basic knowledge of harm reduction theory and/or substance use/abuse. Working knowledge of the community, health systems, key stakeholders and peer leaders. Moderate computer and social media literacy. Motivational Interviewing.
1-2 years in group facilitation preferred. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to function independently.
Access to a properly insured vehicle is a requirement for this position.
Please provide a cover letter when submitting your application.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.