Harm Reduction Specialist
- 2287 Ellsworth Road Suite B, Ypsilanti, MI, United States
Please note: As of December 1, 2015 AIDS Partnership Michigan and HIV/AIDS Resource Center have merged. We are now UNIFIED - HIV Health and Beyond
As the only comprehensive AIDS service organization in its Michigan ten-county area, UNIFIED's mission is to provide HIV related services to the community through compassionate direct care, prevention and outreach activities. We invite you to explore UNIFIED and learn about HIV testing, the depth of services UNIFIED provides and how you can get involved.
Rooted in the history of our fight against HIV, UNIFIED - HIV Health and Beyond advances prevention, access to health care, community research and advocacy
A nationally recognized multi-service center creating positive change through regional impact, innovation and sustainability to promote HV health and beyond.
Using innovative approaches to help residents of Southeast Michigan living with or affected by HIV achieve optimal health through compassionate direct care, support services, prevention and education.
A commitment to being an effective and powerful voice, providing leadership and advocacy for the communities we serve.
AIDS Partnership Michigan (APM) was formed in 1996 through a merger between Wellness Networks, Inc. and AIDS Care Connection. APM was established to better address the emerging AIDS epidemic in the Detroit/Metro area. AIDS Partnership Michigan has always worked by providing education and services to help prevent the spread of HIV and to help connect people living with HIV to needed services.
HIV/AIDS Resource Center (HARC) was founded in 1986 by a group of volunteers to provide HIV/AIDS related services to the people of Jackson, Lenawee, Livingston, and Washtenaw counties. Over the past decade, HARC has developed into a leading HIV/AIDS services provider in Michigan.
The Harm Reduction Specialist has the following primary duties:
- Provide HIV Counseling, testing and referral services.
- Provide Harm Reduction (syringe access) referrals and services.
- Provide assistance to Lead Harm Reduction Specialist as it relates to Youth and Substance Use grant.
- Provide substance use educational sessions to school age youth.
- Conduct and facilitate outreach and prevention/harm reduction workshops to selected target populations in various venues.
- Participate in UHHB Prevention Programs activities including; outreach events, community and group educational events, distribution of HIV/STI informational and risk/harm reduction materials, and other field assignments as required.
- Assist with the development and marketing of program/services to targeted audiences.Provide data entry and documentation into contractually mandated systems.
Minimum BA/BS degree in human services. Equivalent related work experience
will be considered. Equivalent work experience with harm reduction and syringe access is preferred. Current HIV Prevention & Testing certification through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) preferred.
Experience working or proven ability to effectively work with and communicate with diverse communities of sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, and cultures:
- 1-2 years working with HIV
- 1-2 years HIV prevention and/or outreach experience preferred
- 1-2 years with work syringe access and/or substance abuse and/or harm reduction preferred
Basic knowledge of HIV/STI information. Basic knowledge of harm reduction theory and/or substance use/abuse. Working knowledge of the community, health systems, key stakeholders and peer leaders. Moderate computer and social media literacy. Motivational Interviewing.
1-2 years in group facilitation preferred. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to function independently.
Access to a properly insured vehicle is a requirement for this position.
Please provide a cover letter when submitting your application.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.