Staff Software Engineer - Discovery Product
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Twitter is what’s happening and what people are talking about right now. For us, life's not about a job, it's about purpose. We believe real change starts with conversation. Here, your voice matters. Come as you are and together we'll do what's right (not what's easy) to serve the public conversation.
Who We Are: Discovery is committed to building geographically distributed teams and we welcome applicants across the US/Canada to apply.
Twitter's Discovery teams are dedicated to getting the majority of the world to find and participate in all that is happening on Twitter. We are composed of many teams across the company, including Product, Engineering, Design, and Data Science. We are in charge of features like new user sign up flow & education, personalized recommended notifications, re-activating returning users, and much more.
The charter of the whole Discovery team involves work in areas such as machine learning, applied data science, recommendation systems, distributed systems, and information retrieval systems, all applied at a large scale. However, to realize those gains, it’s critical for our product engineers to utilize those platforms and systems, build out user facing features and test it out using online experimentation. Discovery has been a major contributor to Twitter’s growth and continues to expand its impact on users through the great collaboration between our ML engineers, infrastructure engineers and product engineers.
What You'll Do: As a software engineer at Twitter, you will help us build, scale and maintain the consumer product we have, which has a direct impact on the lives of our users and the success of our business. To be successful you will have to partner closely with Product, Design, Research, Data Science, and other engineers to plan, implement, and validate solutions to user problems.
A few things that set us apart:
- Our work is highly impactful, we drive multiple key metrics for the company (DAUs, MAUs & various key engagement metrics).
- We have some great product platforms that we built over the years to ease product development.
- We are very experiment-driven and have several experiments in flight at any point in time.
- We believe in team-centric development and working collaboratively. We love hanging out together and have many active chat channels, some for work-related topics, and others for non-work related topics.
Who You Are:
- You should be passionate about experimentation and understanding user behavior and needs
- You can turn product requirements into concrete engineering plans
- You can communicate effectively with cross-functional partners (Product, Design, Research, Data Science)
- You can mentor engineers and lead a team in solving complex user problems
- You can jump into different code bases and learn quickly.
Requirements: This position requires a BS or MS in Computer Science (or related field) and 7+ years of work experience.
- Experience with building a long term roadmap and technical vision to tackle complex user problems.
- Experience with building and shipping high impact products
- Experience running online experiments
- Experience with building machine learning applications
- Experience leading, growing and mentoring other engineers.
Desired (not required):
- Experience with A/B Testing and product experimentation
- Experience with Scala
- Experience with Hadoop or other MapReduce-based architectures
- Experience with building large-scale distributed backend services
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.