Senior Engineering Manager, Kernel & Operating Systems
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Twitter is what’s happening and what people are talking about right now. For us, life's not about a job, it's about purpose. We feel real change starts with conversation. Here, your voice matters. Come as you are and together we'll do what's right (not what's easy) to serve the public conversation.
Who We Are
The Kernel & Operating System team at Twitter is responsible for shipping the Linux kernel and OS versions on which all of Twitter’s services run. Our job is to ensure the safe, reliable, fast, and efficient operation of the lowest levels of the Twitter software stack! We actively contribute many of our fixes upstream and are active members of the Linux OSS community.
What You’ll Do
- Deliver regular releases of the Linux kernel and operating system in order to ensure that Twitter’s infrastructure remains up-to-date and secure.
- Partner with our hardware engineering team and our customers to ensure that kernel and OS releases meet our performance and quality standards.
- Drive R&D efforts within the Linux kernel and operating system that focus on improvements to Twitter’s overall performance, security, and reliability.
- Engage with the Linux community-at-large to support the development of the Linux kernel and operating system, particularly in the areas and subsystems critical to the success of Twitter and its “hyper-scale” peers.
- Grow and develop the team and guide Twitter’s strategic investment in the people and skills necessary to develop and maintain one of the world’s largest Linux installations.
Who You Are
We’re looking for a leader with a strong background in building and running diverse teams composed of strong technologists with deep domain expertise and technical skill in the area of systems engineering and operating systems development. You have a track record of developing the careers of the folks on your team(s), a demonstrated focus on creating inclusive teams and organizations, and a history of recruiting great technical talent wherever it might be located. To emphasize that latter point, leading a distributed team across multiple time zones is an important skill for helping lead this team. Finally, you should have a history of working within the Linux kernel or OS community and a passion for developing OSS software.
- 5+ years of experience managing a team in the Linux OS and/or kernel development space or a related field
- Familiarity with the Linux kernel release process
- Experience with the CentOS Linux distribution
- Experience working within the Linux community. Ideally, a candidate for this role has been active on the LKML and/or has been directly involved with Linux-based OSS projects or Linux OS distributions
- Previous development experience with C and/or C++
- Strong communication skills and ability to work with partner teams
- Experience handling the distribution and configuration of systems at a large-scale installation
A few other things we value:
- Challenge - We solve some of the industry’s hardest problems. Come to be challenged, learn, and thrive as an engineer.
- Diversity - Diversity makes us a better organization and team. We value diverse backgrounds, ideas, and experiences.
- Work, Life, Balance - We work hard, but we believe with hard work should come balance.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.