- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Twitter is what’s happening and what people are talking about right now. For us, life's not about a job, it's about purpose. We feel real change starts with conversation. Here, your voice matters. Come as you are and together we'll do what's right (not what's easy) to serve the public conversation.
Who we are
The TechDocs team is a group of technical writers and engineers committed to ensuring that engineers at Twitter always have the information they need to succeed!
As a technical writer in Engineering Effectiveness, you will accelerate developer productivity by helping engineers from many different organizations author, discover, and consume organizational know-how as technical documentation. This role will focus on short-term writing engagements and using technical writing standard methodologies.
What you’ll do
You will create technical documentation for many teams at Twitter as well as foster a culture of technical writing by helping our engineers explain and understand how to use our technologies more optimally.
- Develop a good understanding of internal technologies and systems
- Plan, launch, and lead documentation projects involving multiple subject-matter specialists
- Work with engineering teams to identify customers, partners, personas, and use cases
- Design information architecture plans for discoverable and maintainable engineering documentation
- Create architecture guides, procedural content, and reference documentation for engineers
- Edit, review, organize and expand technical information from engineers for both internal and external publishing
- Develop tooling and/or other resources to help engineers become more effective writers and communicators
- Delivery of internal courses on technical writing concepts and tools to help cultivate a culture of documentation for both new hires and current engineers
- Create channels for technical writing feedback and workflows to improve the effectiveness of internal technical documentation
- Create, test, modify, and improve sample code
Who you are
The successful candidate should be passionate about understanding and explaining new technologies and frameworks to others, communicate well, learn quickly, and be able to write and work with sample code in a variety of programming languages. You will be presented with a breadth of topics to contribute to, and a growth attitude is required.
- 5+ years of experience writing documentation for software developers or 3+ years of software development experience with a passion for documentation
- BS/BA or equivalent work experience
- Familiarity with software engineering, system architecture, and other foundational technology concepts
- Ability to read and understand multiple code paradigms at a high level
- Ability to drive engineers and engineering managers to the successful completion of a project
- Experience with one or more markup languages (e.g., Markdown, reStructuredText, Asciidoc, HTML)
Nice to have
- Experience writing and maintaining documentation for an internal audience
- Project management experience
- Extensive experience with programming languages, tools, and software development workflows (e.g., Python, Java, Git, Bash, C++, Scala)
- Experience writing sample code
- Experience using Jupyter Notebooks as executable documentation
- Experience documenting APIs, frameworks, libraries, tools, systems, and workflows in domains such as web, mobile, distributed systems, data science, machine learning, and DevOps
- Experience developing tools for authoring, publishing, discovering, or consuming docs
A few other things we value:
- Challenge - We solve some of the industry’s hardest problems. Come to be challenged, learn, and thrive as an engineer.
- Diversity - Diversity makes us a better organization and team. We value diverse backgrounds, ideas, and experiences.
- Work, Life, Balance - We work hard, but we believe with hard work should come balance.