Security Engineer, SOC
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Twitter is what’s happening and what people are talking about right now. For us, life's not about a job, it's about purpose. We believe real change starts with conversation. Here, your voice matters. Come as you are and together we'll do what's right (not what's easy) to serve the public conversation.
You will be responsible for day-to-day security threat management. You will help identify and manage potential incidents and work with partner teams on known or suspected security threats. Reporting to the Security Operations Manager, you will support threat intelligence, forensics, and incident response efforts that adhere to, and push forward, best practices.
As an engineer, you will:
- Review filtered security alerts, provide analysis, determine and track remediation, and escalate as appropriate.
- Research and analyze patterns in security events across Twitter’s global infrastructure.
- Drive continual improvement in processes and procedures to improve the quality and effectiveness of the team.
- Manage and support the log collection, security scanning, intrusion detection, and other security-related systems.
- Investigate improper access and network anomalies.
- Analyze the security of systems via testing and vulnerability analysis.
- Participate in a 24/7 oncall rotation.
You care about security and building a secure environment for the people using Twitter everyday. You are curious, and have experience with the tools of the trade, comfortable digging into the details, and eager to help others protect our systems. Ideally, you have most of the following:
- 1-3 years of relevant information security experience, with a focus on security operations and incident response
- Knowledge of networking and macOS, Windows, and/or Linux operating systems.
- Practical experience managing and/or deploying security technology.
- Experience with building Splunk or ELK-stack queries and dashboards.
- Knowledge of current threats and techniques and a desire to research and learn more.
- Basic knowledge of scripting using Python or PowerShell, and a desire to improve.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent (engineering, social sciences, arts, etc. are all fine)
We care about making work happy and productive for everyone, with the option to work from home and remotely when you need, wellness benefits, six months of parental leave, and unlimited vacation that we believe you should be taking.
We love sharing knowledge and ideas. Within our team, we have regular lightning talks. We regularly get together with the other Twitter engineering teams for tech talks. And there are many study groups you can join.
A few other things we value:
- Ethics - Ethical behavior means that we expect our team to work within their limits, ask for assistance, keep conclusions fact-based, and respect all of their professional responsibilities.
- Challenge - We solve some of the industry’s hardest problems. Come to be challenged, learn, and thrive as an engineer.
- Diversity - Diversity makes us a better organization and team. We value diverse backgrounds, ideas, and experiences.
- Work, Life, Balance - We work hard, but we believe with hard work should come balance.
- Collaboration - There’s that saying, “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” We want to go far.
- Variety - We encourage team rotations that allow you to work with and learn from other teams at Twitter.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants:
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
You want to be part of a community of the most talented, forward-thinking engineers in the industry. You take satisfaction in building resilient, performant, and thoroughly tested distributed systems that can power the most business-critical applications. You want to learn, work with, and contribute to cutting-edge open-source technologies. The ideal candidate has experience with and/or history of contributions to Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Scalding, Parquet, or similar technologies. You have experience in distributed systems, database internals, and/or performance analysis. We are a diverse team that values diverse thinking!