Engineering Manager - Backbone Network Engineering
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Twitter serves the public conversation by encouraging people all over the world to connect, learn, debate, and solve problems together. We believe conversation can change the world, and that’s why Tweeps (that’s what we call Twitter employees) come to work every day.
What You’ll Do:
You will work with internal customers across engineering at Twitter. You will partner with other infrastructure teams within Twitter to deliver our next generation backbone and cloud network solutions. As a manager of a key component of Twitter's infrastructure strategy, you will play a meaningful role in setting the standard for reliability and availability across the company. You will help drive our networking strategy, and shape the future of network architecture and operations at scale. You will lead and mentor a team of outstanding network engineers, and align the teams priorities and career growth with business opportunities and strategic goals.
- Define and deliver the next generation of network architectures
- Build and maintain a high-performance, fault-tolerant, and scalable network at the heart of delivering Twitter’s services to the world
- Encourage operational excellence within the team and partner with internal customer teams to diagnose and solve complex distributed systems problems and develop solutions that have a significant impact at Twitter’s massive scale
- Set the direction for and improve the reliability and efficiency of the network automation and operations practices for internal teams
- Participate in manager level on-call rotations and assist team members and incident response duties
- Engage with suppliers and vendors to deliver effective solutions
- Partner closely with other engineering teams and project managers
Who You Are:
You are passionate about building teams and developing careers. You take satisfaction in redefining the limits of scale and performance. You seek to continually improve through experimentation and measurement. You know how to align personal and business priorities.
Ideally, you have experience with:
Setting and measuring strategic goals
Defining a long-term strategic roadmap
Leading a geographically distributed engineering team
Designing and operating large scale networks with strict SLA and 24x7 availability and reliability requirements
Modern network automation tooling and strategies
Understanding of ISIS, BGP, MPLS, and RSVP designs
Understanding of cloud architectures such as GCP and AWS
Understanding of transit and peering relationships, global internet connectivity, and traffic engineering strategies
Growing the skills and careers of network engineers
Minimum of 2 years in engineering management
BS, MS, or Ph.D. in computer science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Minimal travel required (2 - 4 weeks per year)
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
You want to be part of a community of the most talented, forward-thinking engineers in the industry. You take satisfaction in building resilient, performant, and thoroughly tested distributed systems that can power the most business-critical applications. You want to learn, work with, and contribute to cutting-edge open-source technologies. The ideal candidate has experience with and/or history of contributions to Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Scalding, Parquet, or similar technologies. You have experience in distributed systems, database internals, and/or performance analysis. We are a diverse team that values diverse thinking!