Senior Database Engineer (UK Remote)
MUST BE UK BASED
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let's make change together.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Data Engineer who thinks in clever ways to solve data problems of scale and load with elegant solutions. Our team supports several PostgreSQL/SQLServer clusters that contain thousands of databases. These data stores are up to 4+TB each with hundreds of millions of rows, as well as many on-premises and cloud data storage systems, such as Aurora, Redis, Memcached, Redshift, CockroachDB, DynamoDB, and Cassandra. As a senior member of this team, you will work closely with our DevOps and Engineering Teams to help us maintain automation and stability in our data stores.
- Protect, tune, migrate, and administer On-premises and Cloud Data Stores.
- Participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
- Always perform in a manner that guarantees the Protection, Availability, and Performance of our Global Data Stores.
- Be opinionated enough to speak up when you think we could be doing something better than we're doing it now -- and tactful and empathetic enough to communicate this in a way that brings people along instead of distancing them
- Passion for data stores and a high sense of ownership while performing critical duties based on senior-level experience in Security, Disaster Recovery, and High Availability.
- Ability to have a strong work ethic in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities that may occasionally change.
- Ability to work independently and perform under pressure.
- Good interpersonal skills, friendly, and approachable.
- Deep Linux experience.Strong SQL skills.
- Expert in PostgreSQL/SQLServer tuning and best practices.
- AWS experience, including Terraform.
- Automated monitoring and alerting of On-premises and Cloud data technologies, such as Aurora, Redshift, Redis, CockroachDB, and Cassandra.
- Kubernetes experience.
- Working experience with configuration management tools, preferably Puppet and Terraform.
No agency submissions
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
- Flexible/hybrid working
- Remote First Culture
- Health Care Coverage*
- Tuition Reimbursement*
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- 4 Self-Care Days per year
- National Holidays*
- 2 Founder Days + Juneteenth Observed
- Paid Volunteer Time*
- Charitable contribution match*
- Monthly Wellness Reimbursement/Home Office Equipment*
- Access to Modern Health (mental health platform)
- Parental Leave*
- Retirement Plan with match/contribution*
* varies by country
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.