Cloud FinOps Analyst - (UK Remote)
- Birmingham, UK
- Employees can work remotely
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, Ouriginal and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Germany, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Sweden, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let's make change together.
The Cloud FinOps Analyst will work with a wide range of stakeholders to promote a culture of cost accountability and awareness for Cloud and SaaS technology tooling. You will collaborate with engineering leaders and members of the finance team to develop and implement cost optimization initiatives, proactively monitoring spend fluctuations, discovering anomalies and seeking strategies for optimization. Key areas the role will support include: Amazon Web Services cost optimization, SaaS tooling analysis and rationalization, technology service invoice validation, technology microservices cost management via credit cards, and general assistance with budget, invoice tracking and reconciliation. This role is a highly visible and impactful position, and as such it will have the opportunity to educate and evangelize cloud cost optimization best practices across the Technology Organization.
- AWS Cloud Cost Optimization - Take ownership of Turnitin Cloud spend, and trends.
- Weekly - Discover cost fluctuations, harmful trends, and unused resources
- Monthly - Analyze and recommend compute saving plan adjustments, recommend reserved instances and calculation of break even points
- Partner with Finance to procure the best reservation and or savings plan
- Long term impact - Seek out and discover rightsizing opportunities and work with Engineering team to achieve changes intended to reduce cost overtime
- Meet with Engineering leaders and evangelize and educate teams on Engineering impact on Cloud and tooling cost
- Generate Monthly reports, by brand, and/or services
- Support technology leaders in understanding their total cloud and tooling cost of ownership based on their future product roadmap
- Take ownership of large contracts that have a consumption model. Maintain vigilance of the burn rate, raise concerns when the contracts are in risk of exceeding terms that result in overages.
- Oversee the measurement and reporting of vendor performance. Ensure that the metrics used to evaluate performance are properly tied to business outcomes and bias-free. Own delivery of performance feedback to vendors, and any corrective actions.
- Oversee contract renewal process with existing vendors and track progress toward contractual commitments. Maintain records of all contracts, renewal dates, and alert stakeholders when renewals are coming up.
- Serve as a point of escalation for vendor issues and disputes and drive those issues to resolution.
- Support negotiations of MSAs, SOWs, and pricing for products and/or services with new and existing vendors.
- Take ownership of the Operations line of credit, track spend, identify opportunities to reduce waste, work with Finance to reconcile monthly spend.
- Participate in business case development, cost modeling, TOC (Total Cost of Ownership) and trade-off exercise for new and existing products, services, and initiatives.
- Basic knowledge of AWS Cloud services or any Cloud provider would be a plus
- Knowledge of the core Finance principles and based understanding of the corporate account process (forecast, invoicing, accruals, etc)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to lead cross-team collaboration and partnerships across a variety of internal technology teams
- Ever curious about new technologies, ability to rapidly learn and understand new concepts and technologies.
- Deep analytical, critical thinking, and quantitative skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Team player and self-driven with a transformation mindset.
- Experience working within an agile software development process.
- Experience tracking budget costs against actual spend
- Strong analytical, written and verbal; must be able to produce various reports (including ad-hoc reports) on costs optimization tools in a timely manner.
- Strong documentation skills: must be able to produce concise documentation on cloud cost optimization processes that are easily understood by a wide audience.
- Experience in Cloud cost optimization and in Cloud FinOps sector
- Possess an AWS Practitioner certification or ability to attain within 12 months
- Experience working closely with external IT vendors
- Hands-on experience in driving enhancements to existing as well as implementation of new cost tracking and report tools for visibility of cloud usage.
- Experience working in small to large teams to achieve project objectives and tasks under challenging deadlines, requiring successful collaboration and problem solving within team members.
- Strong Executive-level communication skills.
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.