Senior DevOps Engineer (EMEA)
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Employees can work remotely
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let's make change together.
We are seeking a Sr. DevOps Engineer with hands-on experience building, automating and operating large-scale systems. You will be part of an exceptional team of individuals spread across the globe, working on the most challenging technical problems in EdTech, helping to build systems, tools, and platforms on which Turnitin’s infrastructure and applications are deployed and operated.
This is a high-impact role in which you will:
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the Engineering, Quality Assurance, and Support teams.
- Break down large projects and features into independently workable/shippable milestones and stories.
- Contribute to the architectural design and implementation of the infrastructure Turnitin runs both on-premise and in AWS.
- Contribute readable, testable, maintainable & documented code when making changes to our infrastructure through IaC systems like Terraform, or AWS Cloudformation.
- Ensure systems relied upon by both external customers and internal teams are fault-tolerant and highly available.
- Be passionate about the infrastructure you build, and the way that you build it.
- Be driven enough to seek out and understand not just the ‘what’ of what we’re building, but also the reason we’re building it.
- Be confident enough to speak up when you think we could be doing something better than we’re doing it now.
- Be well-versed in understanding large feature requests and breaking them down into smaller, more manageable chunks of independently shippable work.
- Be enthusiastic when faced with a challenging, or seemingly unconquerable problem.
- Strong working knowledge of containerization technology (Docker) and administration of distributed containerization orchestration like Kubernetes (including EKS/AKS/GKE) or Docker Swarm.
- Comfortability creating and executing configuration management using tools like Ansible and Puppet.
- Be well-versed in best practices when writing efficient, understandable & maintainable Infrastructure as Code.
- Demonstrable experience and curiosity when troubleshooting full-stack production systems (including network, storage, compute layers, and service dependencies such as DNS, DB, etc.).
- Experience with continuous integration and delivery platforms such as Jenkins, Github Actions, or Bitbucket Pipelines.
- A strong understanding of microservices, micro front-ends and distributed architecture.
Strong considerations given to
- A foundation in serverless workloads leveraging AWS Lambda, API Gateways, DynamoDB & SQS/SNS topics & queues. Hands-on experience designing reliable and fault-tolerant service architecture.
- Experience programming in languages such as Go, Java or Python.
- Familiarity with modern APM tools like NewRelic or Prometheus/Grafana.
- An interest in log management, including AWS Elasticsearch, Fluentd, and Kibana (ELK), or Splunk logging.
- Security and data privacy-focused mindset.
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.