AWS Data Architect (USA Remote)
100% REMOTE POSITION (MUST BE U.S. BASED)
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let's make change together.
Turnitin is seeking a driven and passionate Data Architect to join our Data Platform Insights team. This role reports to the VP, Software Engineering. The primary area of focus is developing our Data Lakehouse, used by our AI team and production applications.
The Data Architect will partner with other architects and technology decision-makers to guide the overall direction of the Data Platform and will work closely with Technical Leads, Architects, Engineers and Product in a highly collaborative environment.
This person is attentive to detail, driven to problem solve, and adaptive to new technologies and best practices. The Data Architect must be able to work effectively and efficiently with a variety of members within the organization to achieve roadmap deliverables.
- Design and optimize data models on AWS Cloud using AWS data stores such as Redshift, DynamoDB, RDS, S3
- Assess and determine governance, stewardship, and frameworks for managing data across the enterprise
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture by designing and implementing data ingestion solutions on AWS using AWS native services (such as GLUE, Lambda) or using data management technologies
- Map application data sources to domain concepts in the Data Lakehouse
- Create and maintain data model and metadata policies
- Design operations architecture and conduct performance engineering for large scale data lakes in production environment
- Participate in team working sessions and provide tradeoffs and recommendations towards building solutions
- Mentor other engineers in coding best practices and problem solvingAddress data-related problems in regards to systems integration, compatibility, and multiple-platform integration
- Collaborate with project leads and consultants and business unit leaders for all projects involving enterprise data and analytics
- Communicate with the project team in a timely manner and escalate issues & risks appropriately
- 10 or more years of IT experience
- BS or MS in Computer Science/Business Information Systems/Engineering or equivalent professional experience
- Experience with Java, Scala, Python, and shell scripting
- Experience and knowledge of cloud Data Lake, Data Lakehouse and Big Data Architectures
- Working experience in a cloud native environment in one of the 3 major public clouds (GCP, AWS, Azure), at least 5 year experience on AWS is preferred
- Familiar with data platforms like AWS, Databricks, Snowflake, etc.
- Knowledge of at least one AI pipelineTechnical expertise with AWS data services like Athena, Redshift, Kinesis or Kafka, Glue, Lake Formation, DMS and knowledge of how to use the right tool for the right job
- Technical expertise with general purpose AWS services like Lambda, EC2, ECS, EKS, S3, DynamoDB, RDSHand-on experience with ETL/ELT tools, technologies and development methodologies, especially in AWS
- Expertise in Data Quality, Data Profiling, Data Governance, Data Security, Metadata Management, MDM, Data Archival and Data Migration strategies using appropriate tools
- Expertise in conceptual, logical and physical data modeling
- Expertise with normalized OLTP, MDM and DW Dimensional modeling techniques, Star & Snowflake schemas, modeling slowly changing dimensions and role playing dimensions, dimensional hierarchies, and data classification
- Data compliance experience involving PII, SOC, GDPR, etc.
- AWS Certification: AWS Certified Solutions Architect and/or AWS Certified Data Analytics
- Working experience with Agile Methodology and KanbanSQL language knowledge
- Experience working with source code management tools such as AWS CodeCommit or GitHubExcellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to plan well and execute with high quality level
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.