Senior Software Engineer - Java (UK Remote)
- Birmingham, UK
- Employees can work remotely
When you join Turnitin, you'll be welcomed into a company that is a recognized innovator in the global education space. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Over 16,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Gradescope by Turnitin, iThenticate, Turnitin Feedback Studio, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity, ExamSoft, and ProctorExam.
Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Our diverse community of colleagues are all unified by a shared desire to make a difference in education. Come join us, and let's make change together.
Remote or Newcastle, UK
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be part of the Integrations team. This team develops and maintains critical integrations with external partners, along with also developing in-house applications and components which can be used by other internal teams.In this role you will be required to be a hands-on developer. You will be primarily responsible for analyzing requirements, brainstorming ideas and software design and carrying out the development work. You will be expected to consider aspects like performance, scalability, cost-effectiveness when developing features. Ability to work across cross-functional teams, partner with Architects, collaborate with Product Managers and other stakeholders. The ability to mentor and coach junior developers is highly desirable.
What you’ll get from us:
- A smart, fun, and casual environment where you can learn from and teach others.
- Flexibility in technology and development practices.
- A great mission -- you will be involved in building systems that help students around the world improve their writing.
- Freedom to not only work on a small team focused on making great products, but also to contribute through the entire development lifecycle to make that happen.
- Gain experience working as part of a development team, working on substantial features, carrying development through to production, working with product teams, designers and QA folk to deliver value to our customers.
What we expect from you:
- 5+ years experience of designing and developing applications using, preferably, Java
- Experience in more modern technologies and frameworks
- Solid experience with relational databases and writing SQL (we use PostgreSQL).
- Experience with CI/CD tools (we use Jenkins)
- 1+ year of cloud development with AWS preferred
- Knowledge of frontend technologies and frameworks such as React/Angular/ES6
- Practical experience writing unit / integration tests and (end-to-end) API tests.
- Ability to collaborate in an agile process with a cross-functional team on both small and large scale changes.
- Familiarity with distributed source and version control systems (we use git).
- Ability to communicate with both product management and support to ensure our product is being used optimally, and to help brainstorm and implement solutions when customers run into issues.
Above and beyond:
- Experience with authorization protocol(s) or framework(s) such as OAuth
- Working with Docker in both development and production deployment environments.
- Experience with service architecture, including service discovery, monitoring, caching, centralized logging, reliable background job processing, and failover.
- History of operationally minded behaviour, particularly with tools like Terraform, providers like Amazon Web Services, and platforms like EC2 Container Service / Kubernetes.
- Experience developing and maintaining 12 Factor Apps.
- Working with modern application performance monitoring tools like NewRelic.
Our Mission is to ensure the integrity of global education and meaningfully improve learning outcomes.
Our Values underpin everything we do.
- Customer Centric - We realize our mission to ensure integrity and improve learning outcomes by putting educators and learners at the center of everything we do.
- Passion for Learning - We seek out teammates that are constantly learning and growing and build a workplace which enables them to do so.
- Integrity - We believe integrity is the heartbeat of Turnitin. It shapes our products, the way we treat each other, and how we work with our customers and vendors.
- Action & Ownership - We have a bias toward action and empower teammates to make decisions.
- One Team - We strive to break down silos, collaborate effectively, and celebrate each other’s successes.
- Global Mindset - We respect local cultures and embrace diversity. We think globally and act locally to maximize our impact on education.
Seeing Beyond the Job Ad
At Turnitin, we recognize it’s unrealistic for candidates to fulfill 100% of the criteria in a job ad. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of the requirements because we know that skills evolve over time. If you’re willing to learn and evolve alongside us, join our team!
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and the LGBTQ+ community, regardless of age, gender, religion, marital or veterans status.