Senior Accountant (6 month fixed term contract)
- Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Turnitin is a global company dedicated to ensuring the integrity of education and meaningfully improving learning outcomes. For more than 20 years, Turnitin has partnered with educational institutions to promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all subject areas and assessment types. Our products are used by educators to guide their students towards higher standards of integrity and by students, researchers and professionals to do their best, original work. Turnitin has offices in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Over 15,000 academic institutions, publishers, and corporations use our services: Feedback Studio, Gradescope, iThenticate, Turnitin Originality, Turnitin Similarity and ExamSoft.
The Senior Accountant is primarily responsible for post-acquisition accounting and integration. This will include migrating/integrating monthly reporting and processes (including but not limited to General Ledger, account reconciliations of balance sheet accounts, account payables process and supporting other functions within the accounting department, as necessary). The role will have exposure to most areas of the Company’s expenses in the month-end close process.
This position requires the ability to work, adapt and evolve in a fast-paced environment, often working under tight deadlines, changing requirements, and teams in multiple time zones. The Senior Accountant will be expected to contribute to driving continued process improvements to help strengthen internal controls and increase efficiencies while also reducing the close cycle requirements. The Turnitin Finance team has a wide range of responsibility including internal and external financial reporting, accounting, and internal controls. This position will report directly to our Accounting Manager.
- Assist with preparation of post-acquisition completion accounts and opening balance sheet audit procedures.
- Migration of data to Turnitin Accounting system.
- Assist newly acquired entity with adoption of group internal controls and processes.
- Integrate monthly reporting and processes for new entity.
- Preparation and transition of monthly journal entries and reconciliations for all non-revenue related G/L accounts.
- Reconcile cash accounts against monthly bank statement balances during the month end close. Ensure all cash activity is properly reflected in the G/L – cash accounts.
- Ensure Prepaids are properly amortized and reconciled and waterfall schedule prepared.
- Ensure cost appropriately accrued at the month end.
- Assist with support to internal customers as needs arise, including ad-hoc financial analysis, and special projects.
- Assist with maintaining proper internal controls and ensure only authorized transactions are processed. Work with Director of Accounting and Accounting Manager to ensure establishment of internal control policies.
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures.
- Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) with Accounting & Finance experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced Excel skills and hands-on exposure to accounting systems (NetSuite preferred).
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Strong written and oral communication skills along with strong interpersonal skills and relationship building.
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize and manage a demanding workload involving multiple tasks, responsibilities and tight deadlines with follow-through and minimal supervision.
- Must be able to move among various tasks, address responsibilities in a 'hands on' detail-oriented manner with an ability to work efficiently and accurately
- Self-starter and proactive thinker
No agency submissions
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, creed, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital or veterans status.