Senior UX Designer
- Detroit, MI, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Turnitin is a global SaaS company dedicated to ensuring the integrity of education and research and supporting the development of original thinking skills. As the academic and research landscape evolves, Turnitin stays ahead of trends through advancements in technology and deep partnerships with education leaders, institutions, and practitioners. Turnitin’s proprietary content databases — built over 20 years — provide an unparalleled repository of 1+ billion student papers, best-in-class scholarly content from top publishers in every major discipline and in dozens of languages, and 70+ billion current and archived web pages. We promote honesty, consistency, and fairness across all assignment types and subject areas so that educators can help students do their best, original work
As a Senior User Experience Designer at Turnitin, you will lead and own the product design process by collaborating closely with researchers, product managers, data scientists, engineers, curriculum experts, writers, and marketers to shape and ship exceptional workflows and features — serving millions of students, instructors, and administrators in the global online education space. Our ideal candidate has a track record of leading design projects through to successful outcomes for both users and the business, as well as rich experience in at least one of the following areas: data analysis and visualization, product-led growth, mobile design, or multi-brand design systems.
40% - Shaping
- Plan and execute a variety of user research and data collection methods to define, shape, and validate features and user-facing communcations.
- Create simple-to-complex prototypes that cover numerous interactions and scenarios.
- Understand Turnitin’s user and business needs and how to prioritize design work based on insights gained from qualitative and quantitative research.
- Synthesize and communicate insights in succinct concepts and metaphors. Inspire and persuade stakeholders and the wider organization through well-executed visioning.
- Balance design ideas with technical possibilities.
40% - Implementation
- Execute a full iterative design cycle that includes accepting and managing feedback and constructive criticism from many internal and external stakeholders.
- Uphold and push for design quality—with a deep appreciation for details.
- Define accessible, inclusive, and highly-usable interactions without sacrificing aesthetics.
- Efficiently document and communicate designs in a format that is easy to find, consume, and understand.
- Contribute to Turntin’s design system to help improve design consistency, quality, and the speed of implementation.
20% - Ownership and Communication
- Inspire and help cross-functional team members build and operate with strong user empathy.
- Drive and facilitate ideation and collaboration among cross-functional team members to elicit ideas and cultivate shared understanding.
- Own projects from beginning to end—from research through
- to implementation.
- Support Turnitin’s commitment to world class design by providing regular, constructive critique to other designers in design reviews.
PROVEN CHARACTERISTICS TO HAVE SUCCESS IN THE ROLE
- Ability to adjust to changing focus, priorities, and tasks
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Ability to execute the full design cycle with minimal guidance
- Has excellent facilitation and communication skills, written and verbal
- Is an empathetic teammate and cross-functional partner
- Designs with an understanding of business needs and strategy
- Is passionate about the balance between strong usability and world class visual design.
- Understanding and enjoyment of the experimental and iterative nature product design teams.
- Bias towards action
- 3+ years of experience working in the product design industry in-house or consultative.
- Must provide a design and/or research portfolio
- Great eye for design, with a strong understanding of both UX/UI design disciplines
- Experience with the product development life cycle, conducting user interviews, prototyping, and designing for multiple audiences and devices
- Experience designing for mobile
- Experience designing for education
- Experience designing on machine learning, data, or growth teams
- Experience designing for enterprise software
- Skills in motion, illustration, or design systems
- Skills in UX Writing
- Strong background in web accessibility
No agency submissions
Turnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, creed, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital or veterans status.