Project Director - Roads
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Department: Infrastructure
At Turner & Townsend we’re passionate about making the difference. That means delivering better outcomes for our clients, helping our people to realize their potential, and doing our part to create a prosperous society.
Every day we help our major global clients deliver ambitious and highly technical projects, in over 110 offices worldwide.
The Project Director handles commissions of varying sizes, depending upon the complexity of the project, etc. Typically, projects fall within the $50m to $100m range. However, where the service provided is advisory in nature, for example advising on urban re-generation funding, the overall project size may be much larger. In this case we are recruiting for a specific role valued at $50M and with 10 locations across Kenya. The role with be advisory in nature, sitting between the client and the contractor. This will be a local contract, with options for fixed term or permanent.
- Advising at a strategic level at the project conception stage, including providing advice on the different approaches that can be adopted in order to successfully achieve the client’s overall objectives
- Leading the establishment of the overall success criteria for the project, including time, cost, technical and performance parameters
- Planning for and the ongoing management of quality, safety, health and environment issues
- Establishing effective project governance, processes and systems to be utilised throughout project.
- Project planning, including ensuring the production of the detailed project plan
- Advising upon the procurement of resources
- Leading and facilitating the overall cross-functional project team
- Monitoring and applying performance management techniques, including the use of KPI’s to improve project performance
- Managing the change control process
- Monitoring and advising upon project finances
- Managing the flow of project information between the team and the client, through regular meetings and written communications
- Ensuring the production of formal project progress and other reports
- Taking a leading role in interfacing with the client and other consultants, at all project stages.
Marketing and Business Development
- Taking responsibility for developing new business opportunities with existing and new Turner & Townsend clients
- Identifying and acting upon cross-selling opportunities
- Working with Associate Directors and Directors to construct bids for new work
- Attending formal client pitches with Assistant Directors and Directors
- Ensuring that project case study, photograph and project CV files are kept up to date
- Identifying and acting upon opportunities to improve project management products and services
- Understanding the Turner & Townsend 2+2=5 philosophy and identifying and acting upon cross-divisional opportunities
Internal Management Accountabilities
- Staff management (where appropriate) – Inputting into the formal management of an Assistant Project Manager or small project management team, to include 1st round recruitment interviews, input into resource management and attendance at junior staff appraisals
- Knowledge management – Ensuring that key information and learning generated from each project is input into the Turner & Townsend internal database
- Financial management – Ensuring prompt client invoicing and utilising FMS in order to monitor a project’s financial status
- Process improvement – Identifying and acting upon ways to improve internal systems and processes
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications, and Experience:
- The ideal candidates are likely to be civil engineers with a recognized university degree in Civil Engineering and a minimum of 15 years experience after graduation. The candidates should be registered/accredited by any official body in any country
- The candidate should have served in a similar role on a long-term basis on at least 3 previously successfully completed road design or road construction supervision assignments where the value of the works designed or supervised was at least USD 40 million for each assignment.
- Candidates should possess formal project management qualifications or should be working towards them.
- Experience in project delivery through all stages of the lifecycle
- Good communication skills and ability to manage a team and control multiple projects
- Experience of FIDIC (Yellow Book) forms of contract will be a distinct advantage
- Experience of working on Roads is highly desirable with at least 10 years experience.
- Experience of leading remotely located team, or multi-site projects is a requirement
Our inspired people share our vision and mission. We provide a great place to work, where each person has the opportunity and voice to affect change.
We want our people to succeed both in work and life. To support this we promote a healthy, productive and flexible working environment that respects work-life balance.
Turner & Townsend is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Please find out more about us at www.turnerandtownsend.com/