Associate Director- Estimating
- Calgary, AB, Canada
- Department: Natural resources
Do you want to be part of our successful Cost Management team, growing our Mining & Metals Estimating business across Canada.? We are hiring an experienced and forward thinking Estimating or Cost Management Associate Director to work alongside some of our key clients in Canada to grow our overall Estimating offering for Mining & Metals in Canada. You could be based in our Montreal, Toronto or Calgary office.
At Turner & Townsend we’re passionate about making the difference. That means delivering better outcomes for our clients, helping our people to realize their potential, and doing our part to create a prosperous society.
Our team is dynamic, innovative and client-focused. Our clients value our proactive approach, depth of expertise, integrity and the quality we deliver. As a result our people get to work on some of the most exciting projects in the world.
Who are you?
You are an experienced Chief Estimator with a minimum of 10 years post-graduate and 3- 5 years of Leadership experience in a similar role looking for the next step or are currently undertaking a similar role and looking to join a thriving business.
To Strategically lead the growth of the Cost Estimating Division in Canada for Mining & Metals with a mandate to grow existing business and develop new business for Cost Estimating in the Sector.
The role is an Associate Director level role in our business and requires the candidate to provide both leadership not only on projects, but also on elements of business and team management.
Job Objectives – Associate Director, Estimating
Depending on the development phase of the projects within program, accountabilities can be summarised as management and enablement of the following activities and requirements:
- Provide a full range of cost consulting services to new and existing clients. This involves a full technical understanding of construction estimation at all levels.
- Mentor, lead and develop staff within the Cost Estimating Division
- Lead the development of Proposals, Bids & Tenders for Cost Estimating across the Mining & Metals sector for the Canada region
- Review and validate cost estimates prepared by internal estimators, contractors, and technical disciplines within the Client organization
- Coordinate costing of complex projects
- Benchmark for validation and target-setting on major projects
- Perform cost risk analysis using the appropriate method for the estimate
- For each estimate class, determine (from existing Client suite of tools and techniques):
- Appropriate estimating technique,
- Appropriate estimating tool,
- Appropriate methodology for dealing with uncertainties,
- Participate in updates of in-house estimating tools, and
- Maintain central feedback and learning on cost estimating from prospects and projects and contribute to updating of Best Practices in estimating.
Associate Director Responsibilities
- Team leadership of Estimating team across the Mining & Metals division.
- Business Development – Taking responsibility for developing new business opportunities with existing and new Turner & Townsend clients
- Staff management –Team management for Senior Consultants, Consultants and Graduate Consultants, including performance reviews
- Recruitment – Lead in selection and recruitment process, including interviews, input into resource management and making key hiring decisions.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a Natural Resources or Infrastructure sector or related field such as construction, working as a senior level strategic Cost Estimator.
- Confident and able to lead projects in own right but, when necessary, to work as part of a senior delivery team
- Strong interpersonal skills to train and develop teams
- Robust and methodical analytical skills, adaptable, with experience leading effective teams
- Experienced in preparing, defining and leading on bid proposals, and work closely alongside other Directors and other Senior Leadership in the business.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering, Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, Building Science or in a related field
- Professional Quantity Surveyor (PQS), MRICS, or AACE Cost Estimating certification is highly desirable
Turner & Townsend is a leading independent professional services company specializing in program management, project management, cost management and consulting across the property, infrastructure and natural resources sectors. With 108 offices in 45 countries, we draw on our extensive global and industry experience to manage risk while maximizing value and performance during the construction and operation of our clients’ assets. We are an Equal opportunity employer who will ensure accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities upon request
Turner & Townsend does not accept any speculative or unsolicited CV’s that have been sent to our internal recruitment team or hiring managers from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list. Any speculative or unsolicited CV’s will be treated as a direct application.