- Leeds, UK
- Department: Infrastructure
At Turner & Townsend we’re passionate about making the difference. That means delivering better outcomes for our clients, helping our people to realize their potential, and doing our part to create a prosperous society.
Every day we help our major global clients deliver ambitious and highly technical projects, in over 110 offices worldwide.
Turner & Townsend are currently seeking a personable, enthusiastic, and energetic Economist to join our Research and Data Life Cycle Unit.
Turner & Townsend is a global professional services consultancy working from 100+ offices in 40+ countries. Using our skills and knowledge we provide industry leading project management, commercial management and advisory services to our clients around the world.
We have grown year on year since 2007 and are continuing to flourish. We are a great team and have a unique offering, with varied opportunities for personal and professional growth in a dynamic and nurturing environment.
Main purpose of the role
You will be an Economist within the Research and Data Life Cycle Unit of our Cost Management business, providing construction cost information and economic trends to business stakeholders. You will work on a variety of Turner & Townsend projects and initiatives. These range from the production of the companies’ externally facing economic research documents to client focused, fee earning reports.
- Economic forecasting; model specification and estimation
- Evaluate macroeconomic and microeconomic trends that have a direct/indirect effect on the construction industry
- Prepare written reports and presentations to senior management, key clients and regional costs centres
- Development, analysis and maintenance of corporate datasets and reports
- Supporting the development of new data-driven services, solutions and products
- Providing technical expertise, training and support to non-experts
- Liaising with and gathering data and information from both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Manage the economics research team and commissions as needed
- Establishing friendly and professional relationships with clients, colleagues and other parties involved in the projects and programmes we support.
Previous experience or a sound and suitable understanding of the following will be a distinct advantage in applying for this role:
- Broad knowledge of the construction industry
- Knowledge of a programming language or willingness to learn; STATA, R, E-Views, SAS or similar statistical platforms
- Understanding of visual analytics software or willingness to learn; Tableau and Microsoft Power BI are of particular interest
- Knowledge of econometric techniques: economic impact assessment; cost benefit analysis; and forecasting models are desirable
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain economic concepts and quantitative results, as well as their implications, to non-specialists, in plain English for a business audience
- Proficiency in Excel
- Ability to work using own initiative and without close supervision.
- Undergraduate Degree (or equivalent) in a course that is Economics based entirely, or as part of a joint honours programme
- Masters in Economics, Finance, Statistics or Mathematics (or related subjects) is sought
- Ideally hold or be working towards an appropriate professional body membership or equivalent.
Our inspired people share our vision and mission. We provide a great place to work, where each person has the opportunity and voice to affect change.
We want our people to succeed both in work and life. To support this we promote a healthy, productive and flexible working environment that respects work-life balance.
Turner & Townsend is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Please find out more about us at www.turnerandtownsend.com/