Associate Director Cost Manager / Quantity Surveyor - Commercial Real Estate Construction
- Sunnyvale, CA, USA
- Department: Real Estate
Turner & Townsend are engaged to support our clients with many complex projects, responsible for all aspects of cost management and project delivery and we are seeking the ideal Associate Director Cost Manager and/or Quantity Surveyor to act as the day-to-day interface with the client and drive large Commercial Real Estate construction projects to achieve an excellent outcome. You have a chance to be a key player in our technological future, as part of a team of innovative professionals shaping our built environment.
The Associate Director Cost Manager and/or Quantity Surveyor will take responsibility for end to end service delivery and to act as key, day to day client interface, ensuring that client objectives are met through the delivery of a value added service.
Are you up for a new challenge by working in a new location?
Turner & Townsend’s vision is to expand our global footprint. The US is currently our biggest growth market, however we have opportunities across the globe. So wherever you are, if you are the right candidate, we want to hear from you. Turner & Townsend offers generous relocation packages for the right candidate.
Why it’s great to work for Turner & Townsend
At Turner & Townsend we’re passionate about making the difference. That means delivering better outcomes for our clients, helping our people to realize their potential, and doing our part to create a prosperous society.
Every day we help our major global clients deliver ambitious and highly technical projects, in over 130 countries worldwide.
Our team is dynamic, innovative and client-focused. Our clients value our proactive approach, depth of expertise, integrity and the quality we deliver. As a result our people get to work on some of the most exciting projects in the world.
Who are you?
You are a Cost Manager / Quantity Surveyor with management experience and a minimum of 10 years post-graduate experience working on large-scale Commercial Real Estate or relatable large-scale construction projects.
- Commissions are managed to the right quality standards and are completed efficiently and on time.
- Service delivery on commissions is in line with the conditions of appointment.
- Strong relationships are developed with clients and cross-functional team members.
- The team is effectively led.
- Line management responsibilities are effectively discharged.
- Business development opportunities with existing and new clients, including cross- selling opportunities, are identified and acted upon.
- Margin levels and monthly fee/resource forecasts are kept track of on all commissions.
- Key information and data is effectively cascaded and appropriately retained.
- Strong leadership skills; experience leading a Cost Management team, ensuring they deliver on all accountabilities.
- Taking a lead role in interfacing with the client, stakeholders and other consultants, at all project stages.
- Identifying opportunities to improve cost management procedures, templates and products.
- Knowledge management – Ensuring that key information and learning generated from each commission is inputted into internal databases and shared.
- Process improvement – Identifying and acting upon ways to improve internal systems and processes.
- Taking responsibility for developing new business opportunities with existing and new Turner & Townsend clients.
- Identifying and acting upon cross-selling opportunities.
- Lead proposals for new work or variations for existing projects.
- Attending relevant networking events and other promotional opportunities.
- Staff management – Inputting into the formal management of staff and recruitment interviews.
- Undertake Staff Performance reviews.
- Financial management – Utilizing the tools provided keep track of the ongoing margin levels and monthly fee/resource forecasts for each commission
- Review and participate with the design services team and general contractor, in the development of the cost estimates.
- Reconcile changes that occur over the planning phase and assist the general contractor to ensure that their data is accurate.
- Quality Control – Ensuring compliance with quality standards and participation in ISO audits.
- Communicate or meet with general contractor and owner project manager to gather status information to prepare a cost estimate update.
- Prepare written comments to the general contractor’s submissions, including the executive summary. Coordinate all sources of cost information for cost discussions and suppliers direct from NPA, subs, quantities from A/Es,
- Inform and drive engineering priorities based on cost impact.
- Provide estimate and cost planning to include producing and presenting the final cost plan.
- Work proactively with minimal supervision to resolve scheduling issues.
- Manage cost checks and carry out valuations on larger projects. Complete timely, accurate cost checking and valuation processes.
- Participate effectively with post contract cost variances and the change control processes.
- Manage Cost impact / contingency management and commitment tracking logs.
- Prepare funding data presentations and coordinate VE sessions with stakeholders.
- Demonstrates excellent presentation, verbal, written, and communication skills.
- Solid technical experience in all cost management areas; planning, estimating, pre-contract post contract and final account.
- Ability to estimate at conceptual, programming and detailed level.
- Understands cost (material prices, labor, productivities) as well as commit profiles, cashflow, LLE dates, and overall project cost.
- Experience preparing Cost Management estimates and reports.
- Experience with advising clients on value management, value engineering, and life cycle costing.
- Experience with key aspects of business development.
- Good organization skills, ability to multi-task, and be a team player.
- Proficient with collaborative, cloud-based software including Costx or other related computer software.
- College or post-graduate degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Quantity Surveyor or a related field with a technical Focus or related technical field.
- A minimum of 10 years relevant experience in the construction industry.
- A minimum of 10 years relevant experience estimating large-scale, mission critical construction projects in Commercial Real Estate, Life Sciences or Healthcare, High Tech, Manufacturing, or Data Center sectors.
- Commercial Real Estate or related construction experience is required.
- US construction industry experience is required
- MEP experience is strongly preferred; Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing estimating experience within the construction industry.
Turner & Townsend is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Equal Employment Opportunity Posters If you’d like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan, please email [email protected]. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department at 713-457-9400 or [email protected]. This telephone line and email address is reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requesting accessibility assistance or an accommodation in the job application process. Please do not call about the status of your job application if you do not require accessibility assistance or an accommodation. Messages left for other purposes, such as following up on an application or non-disability related technical issues, will not receive a response
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.