Lab Support Tech II - Clinical Lab Support
- Boston, MA, USA
- Work Address: 800 Washington St, Boston, MA 02111
- Shift: Days
- Job Category (for posting purposes): Lab Services
- Employment Type: Full Time
It takes a lot of very smart, hard-working and talented people to provide the level of care that we give to our patients. Tufts Medical Center is an internationally respected academic medical center and we pride ourselves not only on the sophistication of the care we deliver, but the compassionate way in which we provide it. And that starts with our employees.
The Lab Support Tech II works under the supervision of the Supervisor of Central Receiving and performs clinical laboratory support functions including but not limited to, specimen ordering, accessioning, specimen receipt, problem solving, and additional varied clerical functions. The Lab Support Tech II has successfully completed and maintains competency in role specific skills.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Reviews test requisitions and requests for accuracy and completeness prior to ordering and accessioning.
- Verifies patient identification on specimens and requisitions by utilizing the two-hospital approved patient identifiers.
- Exhibits excellent customer service and interpersonal skills to interact with physicians, nurses, medical students, patients, and co-workers at all times.
- Performs general clerical support functions which include; customer service functions for internal and outreach clients such as test ordering and accessioning, add-on inquiries, troubleshooting problem specimens, professional and courteous answering of telephone inquiries for laboratory information, specimen requirements, sorting and scanning of all test requisitions.
- Attends to the specimen drop off window, with regards to proper log keeping and accurate placement of specimens.
- Is responsible for training and retraining of employees and students.
- Attends mandatory annual training sessions in fire safety, chemical hygiene, and laboratory HIPAA compliance.
- Performs all functions appropriate to position responsibilities that are required for the laboratory to meet the standards specified by accrediting agencies such as the Joint Commission and the College of American Pathologist (CAP) with respect to administrative procedures and policies covering specimen handling, personnel policies, safety, and quality assurance.
- Maintains collaborative team relationships with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the working group’s achievement of goals, and to help foster a positive work environment.
- Is competent in processing specimens from approved studies with little or no errors.
- Able to troubleshoot specimen concerns and enters Safety events in the Quantros system.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment for all staff.
- Reports directly to Supervisor of Central Receiving
- Cleans and stocks equipment and supplies to ensure adequate par levels to meet the daily needs of the operation.
- Reports nonfunctioning equipment, problems with supplies, and other environmental problems to the Supervisor of Central Receiving. Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with peers, physicians, nurses, medical students, fellows, patients, and families. Communicates with external and internal customers with effectiveness, tact, courtesy, and professionalism.
- Advanced computer skills
- Must be able to work accurately, effectively, and independently under pressure.
- Bachelors Degree in Arts or Sciences Preferred
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Prolonged, extensive sitting and standing
- Regularly exposed to blood and body fluids capable of transmitting disease
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- May be asked to work irregular hours
An equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above, may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES STATEMENT:
Must be able to perform all essential functions of this position with reasonable accommodation if disabled.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Tufts Medical Center reserves the right to modify position duties at any time, to reflect process improvements and business necessity.
Please note that effective October 1, 2021, as a condition of employment at Tufts Medical Center, all employees and new hires must have received their complete dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, unless they have been granted an exemption.