CPD Supervisor - Central Processing Department
- Boston, MA, USA
- Work Address: 800 Washington St, Boston, MA 02111
- Shift: Nights
- Job Category (for posting purposes): Clinical Support
- Employment Type: Full Time
It takes a lot of very smart, hard-working and talented people to provide the level of care that we give to our patients. Tufts Medical Center is an internationally respected academic medical center and we pride ourselves not only on the sophistication of the care we deliver, but the compassionate way in which we provide it. And that starts with our employees.
This position reports to the O.R. Business Manager. Controls and coordinates the processing, sterilization, assembly and distribution of patient care medical supplies to inpatient and ambulatory areas during as assigned shift.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Plans, organizes, allocates work to and supervises the activities of subordinates on an assigned shift engaged in the decontamination, processing and sterilization of reprocessed patient care items. Ensures all shift activities conform to established policies, procedures and standards.
- In cooperation with other department supervisors, assists in selecting scheduling, training, evaluating and as necessary, recommending discipline and discharge of subordinates.
- Counsels Central Processing Department and Operating Room personnel on assigned shifts regarding departmental policies, procedures and standards, ascetic techniques, instrument identification, tray assemblies and so forth.
- Ensures all surgical case carts prepared for use on assigned shift have been accurately assembled and distributed on a timely basis. Confers with OR personnel modifications to surgical case cart orders due to changes in caseload.
- Ensures all required records and documentation pertaining to shift activities are properly maintained
- Initiates and documents requests for purchase of surgical instrumentation and medical/surgical inventory items, as necessary.
- Directs up-keep and maintenance of work areas and equipment. Reports any problems to other shifts as necessary
- Confers with departmental management regarding possible improvements or enhancement to departmental operations and procedures.
- Assists subordinates with work related problems and resolves problems on shift as they occur.
- Performs duties of subordinates in response to emergency situation, changes in workload or staffing shortages.
- Oversees the on-going development and coordination of required in-service educational programs pertaining to departmental policies, procedures and standards, asceptic techniques, instrument identification, tray assemblies and so forth. Ensures CPD technicians on all shifts receive required training, and, as necessary, conducts on-on-one training sessions.
- In cooperation with the Business Manager, assists in maintaining quality assurance programs by performing tests to ensure items are sterile, interpreting data and verifying correct operation of equipment. Ensures equipment receives required maintenance or repairs.
- Initiates and documents purchase requests for surgical instrumentation and medical/surgical inventory items.
- Ensures all work areas are maintained in an organized, safe and clean manner.
- May assume responsibility for the daily operation of the department.
- Maintains current and accurate surgical kit component lists.
- Supervisory Duties
- Oversees CPD shifts by providing leadership and direction to CPD Technicians.
- Anticipates daily and next day requirements relating to surgical instrumentation, equipment, and supplies ensures that all needs are met.
- Assesses status of daily surgical schedule to anticipate workload on all CPD shifts.
- Effectively communicates all pertinent information relating to the responsibilities of each shift and collaborates with department supervisors and OR personnel for resolution of issues.
- Anticipates and resolves potential equipment and supply conflicts or shortages with satisfactory substitutions.
- Oversees surgical kit assembly to insure completeness and accuracy by providing instruction, accurate kit list information, and appropriate resources for the CPD Technicians.
- Monitors case-cart setups for completeness and accuracy. Addresses all ‘missing item’ issues.
- Assures that assigned tasks have been properly and promptly completed.
- Effectively documents and communicates supply conflicts and shortages with appropriate CPD and Nursing staff.
- Instructs, monitors, and evaluates shift Technicians on the proper care and handling of surgical instruments and the principles of sterility set by specific policies.
- Instructs, monitors, and evaluates shift Technicians of the proper use of all washers, sterilizers, and record keeping systems according to specific policies.
- Evaluates the educational needs of the CPD personnel and promote continued education with scheduled in-services.
- Prepares shift assignment sheet to assure that adequate coverage for all areas will be met.
- Periodically evaluates performance of CPD Technicians and provide guidelines for achieving improvement.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of distribution and utilization of supplies and equipment generally acquired through one to two years of technical training
- Work requires knowledge of department policies and procedures as well as thorough knowledge of ascetic techniques, equipment operations and instrument and equipment identification generally acquired through two to three years of related experience.
- Interpersonal and supervisory skills are required to plan, organize and direct the activities of a medium size group of instrument room aides & technicians on the day shift, and to coordinate the activities of personnel assigned to off-shifts.
- Administrative ability is required to ensure all record keeping; inventory control and related documentation are adequately maintained.
- Good command of English language, both spoken and written.
- Good communication skills.
- High School Degree or equivalent.
- Completion of CPD Training program desired.
- One to two years of CPD experience or experience in a closely related field of medical or surgical technology.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Job involves large amounts of time walking and standing, routine lifting of objects weighing up to 20 lbs. and pushing/moving heavy loaded carts of 30-40 lbs.
- Routine contact with caustic materials used in cleaning and disinfection, infectious material, steam under pressure, and ethylene oxide (a known carcinogen).
- High level of noise, heat and humidity due to sterilization process.
- Frequent exposure to complicated equipment.
- Frequent contact with Operating Room personnel - nurses and physicians
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES STATEMENT:
Must be able to perform all essential functions of this position with reasonable accommodation if disabled.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Tufts Medical Center reserves the right to modify position duties at any time, to reflect process improvements and business necessity.
Please note that effective October 1, 2021, as a condition of employment at Tufts Medical Center, all employees and new hires must have received their complete dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, unless they have been granted an exemption.