Vice President, Finance
- Toronto, ON, Canada
Founded in 2011, Travel Edge is a $750 million privately-held company specializing in Leisure, Corporate & Events, and Tours travel. As North America’s largest luxury-focused travel company, Travel Edge has earned its place as a category leader, outpacing the industry with impressive growth and world-class technology. The company’s Leisure division has 10 offices in the US, Canada, and Bermuda, with over 750 expert advisors specializing in air, cruise, vacation, and VIP travel. The Corporate & Events division has four offices and 100 corporate travel and event planners specializing in corporations looking for a tailored and full-service travel management solution. The Tours division, Kensington Tours, has over 150 destination experts and offers custom and private guided tours to over 90 countries worldwide.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Finance, the Vice President, Finance is responsible for ensuring the business achieves its reporting, treasury, tax optimization, and compliance goals. They will be responsible for managing a financial accounting team servicing various business units. The role will oversee both day to day functional reporting as well as numerous project initiatives at any given time.
The VP will lead the finance function for the Kensington Tours business unit through building strong relationships internal to finance and cross company with other functions/ business units.
They will be both:
1) A hands-on individual contributor with ability to roll up their sleeves to build and independently maintain some functional areas in finance.
2) A change agent leading staff on enhancement to financial reporting procedures or changes to systems, processes and the organizational structure.
- Build a road map to introduce, improve and enhance financial controls in support of the group’s audit goals
- Oversees financial models to support decision analysis for senior executives and business unit executive leaders on a regular basis
- Lead internal efforts to optimize the cash tax position for group using sound tax planning and transfer pricing strategies
- Work with FP&A the team on budgeting and forecasting processes and mid-year forecasts through clear understanding of the complex management & financial reporting concepts and key business drivers
- Understand and articulate differences between management reporting function and financial (GAAP based) reporting with ability to pivot seamlessly between two reporting environments/assumptions
- Manage travel compliance efforts to keep all group entities in good standing with tax and travel industry regulators
- Lead and manage the ERP monthly close cycles with attention on optimizing process and adding efficiencies
- Review and improve monthly entity level financial reporting and management reporting output produced by the finance team to contribute to MD&A and monthly executive meetings
- Review monthly consolidation of financial reports
- Manage the reconciliation processes connecting several financial source systems including subledgers to lead ledgers
- Prepare individual and consolidated financial statements for the enterprise as required
- Support all Microsoft NAVISION system upgrades, enhancements, fixes, communicating effectively with management, staff, IT and external consultants
- Regular analysis and updates to the GL structure to align the NAV reporting structure to new business drivers and for evolving reporting needs
People Management Role:
- Maintain a “Best in Class” finance team that can evolve quickly in a very fast paced environment and believes in efficient collaboration both in and out of finance
- Lead by role modelling
- Hire new staff, develop and train as required and work to top grade talent where required in support of scaling and evolving business needs
- Set goals, communicate milestones and provide regular feedback to a group of direct reports
- Ensure that all direct reports are following through with similar goal setting and feedback cycle to resonate at all levels of the finance team
- Collaborate and work with CFO to implement improved financial reporting, controls, policies, systems and processes
Technical Skills Required:
- Bachelors of Commerce/Business Administration required
- Canadian accounting designation required with preference given to CA/CPA candidates
- Good grasp of Canadian and/or US corporate tax with prior experience in either a firm advisory role or in industry settings where the function was managed directly
- 3+ years of hands-on experience leading treasury or cash management functions
- Advanced level Excel, Intermediate level PowerPoint skills
- Prior hands on experience maintaining and using accounting software, ideally MS Dynamics Great Plains, or MS Navision
- Systems savvy and able to grasp system interconnectivity issues as they pertain to accounting controls/reconciliation functions
- Direct experience with an ERP Systems implementation an asset
- Fully proficient in consolidations accounting including managing complex intercompany transactions/reconciliations, FX translations, CTA proofs, etc.
Other Skills Required:
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to present to executive level management
- Highly functional in a fast paced, constantly changing entrepreneurial environment
- Effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines
- Ability to work through conflict and build trust both upwards and downwards
- Low ego and highly collaborative leadership style
We thank all candidates for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require accommodation due to a disability at any stage of our hiring process, please advise us when completing your application.