Staff Backend Engineer - TrueCoach
- Boulder, CO, USA
- Employees can work remotely
We’re TSG. There’s a good chance you’ve not heard of us yet – we’re just getting going. We’re the people who power gyms, fitness facilities, childcare centers and independent personal trainers in a load of places across the globe (US, Aus, NZ, UK, Japan, France, and Canada, with more to come). We’re bringing together the very best companies in the industry through smart, intentional acquisition. And we’re getting ready to go big.
In the US, we’ve brought together Mariana Tek, Zingfit, Triib and TrueCoach, to form our Boutique Vertical. There’s over 140 of us in the Boutique team and we’re passionate about fitness, stellar customer support and creating tech that solves problems for busy people. We’re based across the US with offices in DC, Boulder, Louisville and Boston. Our products are already revolutionizing boutique fitness, by automating admin and other tasks for gym owners and trainers, so they can get out of the office and spend more time doing what they love.
If you’re passionate about tech, fitness and working with talented, ambitious people, then we’d love to hear from you
Our Rails JSON API, currently serving 4 different frontend clients, serves as the heart of the TrueCoach platform. We have scaled up rapidly this year, with usage growth of over 70% since February, and while we’ve handled that growth relatively well, interesting scaling challenges lie ahead. As a Staff Engineer on the Backend Team you will be responsible for maintaining and extending this core API, its associated admin panel as well as several satellite services (Rails + AWS), and our Heroku based infrastructure.
In this position, you'll be responsible for overseeing, extending and maintaining the backend services that power the core of the platform, as well as leading the backend team to success by working to coordinate team alignment, facilitating guild meetings and providing expertise as needed. You’ll oversee architecture decisions, mentor other engineers and work alongside product and design to help us ensure we build the right thing in the right way at the right time. We have a solid foundation, with revenue and happy customers that love us, but we're just getting started.
Reports to: VP of Engineering
Location: Boulder, CO or remotely in one of the following US States: AZ, CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, NC, NE, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT and VA.
- Represent backend concerns from idea to deploy and beyond
- Plan, sequence, forecast, track and deliver projects effectively and reliably
- Provide task definition and architecture direction for other engineers as needed
- Role model exemplary code review and craftspersonship
- Address scaling challenges at the requirements, app, database and infrastructure levels
- Write clean, robust, well tested and well abstracted code
- Build out, maintain and utilize monitoring solutions across services
- Provide guidance, mentoring and coaching as needed for all backend contributors
- Evolve our application architecture to support our growing client
- Expand your interests and abilities via our 10% investment time
- At least 6 years of experience building scalable and performant APIs
- Proven track record of building high quality web applications at scale
- Fluency with a modern, server side web application framework
- Comfort with both Ruby and Ruby on Rails or excited about becoming an expert
- Strong data and domain modeling skills
- Strong understanding of fundamental technologies of the web and browser
- Significant experience with SQL
- Significant experience building 3rd party integrations
- Significant experience overseeing CI, monitoring and infrastructure
- Experience building widely used SaaS products
- Experience with large datasets and databases under significant load
- Bonus - Deep expertise in PostgreSQL
- Bonus - iOS or Android development experience
Work Skills/Personal Characteristics:
- Strong technical leader
- Strong desire to learn new things
- Hard working
- Humble and open to constructive feedback
- Strong communication skills
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong initiative and sense of ownership
- Bonus - passionate about health and fitness
Travel Requirements: There are no specific travel requirements for this position.
Salary Range: $160k-$170k
Benefits: TSG offers market competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, Life & AD&D Benefits, Short Term and Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, Flexible Spending Accounts (both Heathcare and Dependent) as well as up to a 4% match on 401k contributions.
For more information on the company, visit: https://www.transactionservices.global/en-us
For information about TrueCoach visit: TrueCoach: https://truecoach.co/
TSG is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.