Product Director, International
- Office: Barcelona
We are champions of rail, inspired to build a greener, more sustainable future of travel. Our purpose is our momentum. It makes us feel good because we know we’re doing good. As we lead the way to a greener future, we do it together. We’re all about connections - with each other, with our customers and with the world. Just as our platform brings the world together, it’s our ambition that connects us. We motivate each other to go beyond our limits, to experiment, to fail and to always grow.
With over 110 million visits every month to our platform and £4.3 billion in net ticket sales, we're always innovating and making moves towards our final destination — a world where travel is as simple, seamless, and affordable as it should be.
And we couldn't do any of it without our incredible people driving us forward. Today, we're a FTSE 250 company that's proudly home to more than 1000 Trainliners from over 60 nationalities across offices in London, Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Edinburgh, Berlin, Madrid and Brussels. It's this diversity that energises us and makes us stronger, helping us to achieve amazing things.
With our sights firmly set on further European growth, there is no better time to jump on board this high-speed train and be part of our continued success.
To support our ambitious commercial goals, we’re expanding our world-class Product division led by Dave Price (an international Product expert in Technology & Travel) to drive the next stage of our development. In this critical leadership role within our award winning Product Management community, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team including Product Design, Research, Engineering, Data, Commercial and Marketing to help us revolutionise the travel experience. The goals are ambitious and the mandate is clear – to inspire travellers to choose greener journeys.
We’re proud to be Europe’s #1 travel app, and currently operate across 22 international markets led by Spain, Italy and France with revenue in excess of €1bn in 2023…and this is just the beginning - you will be a driving force in shaping our future international success. Our passion for our customers sits at the heart of everything we do, and we believe in providing an outstanding, friction-free experience. And it’s our Product team who understand the importance of innovation, creating and evolving a suite of market-leading products that continue to ‘wow’ our customers and help them simplify the increasing complexities of travel whether for leisure or commuting, travelling locally, long distance or cross-border.
As Product Director - International, you’ll define and execute Trainline’s bold and far-reaching international product strategy and vision. Leading a team with responsibilities across 7+ full stack squads, your impact will extend beyond Product, and you will inform our strategy, improve process and ultimately embody our culture, forming close partnerships with CPO, CTO, CCO and Country GMs as well as influencing at Board and Exec level.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Setting a clear vision and strategy, but understanding the critical importance of being able to dive in and connect that strategy to the detail of tactics
- Forging successful external relationships with suppliers and partners whilst ensuring Product is amplified through your tight collaboration with Commercial, Brand and Growth teams
- Drive delivery and performance, developing a team who crave data in pursuit of forming insights and beliefs, in turn translating into clear hypotheses to achieve the best customer and business impact
- Hiring, coaching and leading diverse and high-performing teams of Product Managers, creating an inclusive space where people can learn and do the best work of their careers
- Working beyond Product, as both a key member of the Barcelona and Paris leadership teams and Trainline’s Extended Leadership team, you’ll also work closely with Exec and Board to inform strategy, influence ways of working and evolve our culture
This is a career defining role for someone passionate about shaping and inspiring a world class product development team and nurturing the next generation of Product talent at Trainline. You will play a key part in helping tell the story of a product that is changing the way we travel by inspiring millions of people to make more environmentally sustainable travel choices every day.
We’re looking for creative big thinkers with small egos to achieve our ambitious plans. You’ll be a innovative, data-driven, commercially-minded Product leader with a stellar track record of creating and delivering best-in-class user experiences for top tier digital businesses. Possessing strong communication and stakeholder management skills, you will bring a strategic and analytical toolkit to marry the needs of customers and the business.
Experience of working at pace in an entrepreneurial culture, likely from another international, consumer-facing digital or multichannel business will be critical. In addition, you will be a creative and commercial disruptor, building world-class consumer products that have a measurable commercial impact.
Other key attributes should include:
- A track record of building world class Product teams that have shaped high volume B2C online experiences. In particular, having a playbook that is evident across multiple European markets
- Deep commercial acumen and be able to contribute to wider business decisions outside of the Product domain
- A product and design visionary who has been able to marry the practicalities of delivery
- Experience working across a complex and evolving product set, using the latest techniques for product discovery and hypothesis-driven product development
- Proven at building effective relationships in particular across Commercial, Brand and Marketing
- A seasoned storyteller and an all round exceptional communicator, who inspires your team and influences those you interact with
- The voice of the customer, and possess a track record of building teams who strive to answer questions and find insights from an array of sources
- A manager who attracts and hires top Product talent, and possesses the tools to develop and grow individuals into leading Product Managers and builds exceptional teams
Why should you jump on board?
We pay special attention to learning and development and organise quarterly company learning days as well as offering a learning budget that can be put towards resources of your choice. We will cover the costs of your professional subscriptions and give you access to our very own learning platform.
At Trainline, we care about the wellness of our employees. We host puppy therapy sessions, in-office yoga and run Mental Health First Aider training courses as well as having an Employee Assistance Program as one of our many company benefits.
We regularly throw fun social events such as pub quizzes, karaoke nights and our large-scale Summer and Winter Festivals every year. Additionally, we love hosting meetups in our amazing event spaces and having the opportunity to support internal and external community groups.
We also hold companywide hackathons and our annual Trainline Tech Summit, which provides Trainliners with an opportunity to stand up and share their story, learnings, or new skills with their colleagues in a safe environment.
Our flexi-first approach
We believe in the importance of a healthy work-life balance and the value of a flexible workforce. Our flexi-first approach outlines our commitment to a hybrid way of working and our expectations of Trainliners. A key part of what makes Trainline special is our people and the value we get from the buzz and energy of our workplaces, and that’s why we’re proud to offer the best of both worlds. In practice this means in–office attendance at least 40% of the time over a 12-week period for all Trainliners. These in-office days are typically team led to help us connect, collaborate and create together.
Think Big - We're building the future of rail
Own It - We care about every customer, partner and journey
Do Good - We make a positive impact
Travel Together - We're one team
Interested in finding out more about what it's like to work at Trainline? Why not check out what our employees say about us on Glassdoor? You can also find out more information by following us on LinkedIn or our 'Life at Trainline' Instagram account.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.