Engineering Team Lead
- Office: London
We are champions of rail, inspired to build a greener, more sustainable future of travel. Our purpose is our momentum. It makes us feel good because we know we’re doing good. As we lead the way to a greener future, we do it together. We’re all about connections - with each other, with our customers and with the world. Just as our platform brings the world together, it’s our ambition that connects us. We motivate each other to go beyond our limits, to experiment, to fail and to always grow.
With over 110 million visits every month to our platform and £4.3 billion in net ticket sales, we're always innovating and making moves towards our final destination — a world where travel is as simple, seamless, and affordable as it should be.
And we couldn't do any of it without our incredible people driving us forward. Today, we're a FTSE 250 company that's proudly home to more than 1000 Trainliners from over 60 nationalities across offices in London, Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Edinburgh, Berlin, Madrid and Brussels. It's this diversity that energises us and makes us stronger, helping us to achieve amazing things.
With our sights firmly set on further European growth, there is no better time to jump on board this high-speed train and be part of our continued success.
Great journeys start with Trainline.
Introducing the LTV - Engagement Team
Engagement is a crucial part of the Growth mission at Trainline to build long-term relationships and habits with our users. The Engagement team focuses on building personalisation capability and creating a personalised user experience through on-platform messaging, push notifications and emails. We balance this with iterative product experiments optimising for user retention.
As an Engineering Team Lead at Trainline, you will...🚄
- Be the manager for your cross-functional team, constantly supporting them with their career development through coaching and performance management, ensuring they are all engaged and understand how their work contributes to the wider Trainline strategy
- Engage in technical deliverables, such as features, application monitoring, and bug fixing - although spending less time writing code than engineers
- Manage hiring, interviews, and onboarding of any new team members
- Be responsible for identifying bottlenecks in the process and roadblocks to success for your team and clearing these to ensure this success
- Work with Product Owners and Development Managers to pick the high-value projects to work on and keep your team focused on these projects
- Own the team’s technical roadmap, negotiate with Product Owners to ensure technical projects are prioritised alongside product features
- Work with Product Owners and Development Managers to manage project scope, ensure the technical deliverables are met, and communicate delivery progress clearly and frequently to all stakeholders
- Identify areas of improvement such as strategic tech debt, and more advanced/efficient technologies that will underpin Trainline growth plans
We'd love to hear from you if you...🔍
- Are a team leader with proven line management experience delivering complex projects successfully
- Love developing people and have experience growing engineering teams
- Can inspire your direct reports and create a strong trust-based relationship with them
- Thrive in a diverse, open, and collaborative environment
- Have great communication skills
- Are proactive, focused, supportive, honest, and a team player
- Have a passion to learn new skills
- Are a problem solver who can apply their skills to technical issues
- Advocate for the use of Agile development practices
- Have solid testing practices
Why should you jump on board?
We pay special attention to learning and development and organise quarterly company learning days as well as offering a learning budget that can be put towards resources of your choice. We will cover the costs of your professional subscriptions and give you access to our very own learning platform.
At Trainline, we care about the wellness of our employees. We host puppy therapy sessions, in-office yoga and run Mental Health First Aider training courses as well as having an Employee Assistance Program as one of our many company benefits.
We regularly throw fun social events such pub quizzes, karaoke nights and our large-scale Summer and Winter Festivals every year. Additionally, we love hosting meetups in our amazing event spaces and having the opportunity to support internal and external community groups.
We also hold companywide hackathons and our annual Trainline Tech Summit, which provides Trainliners with an opportunity to stand up and share their story, learnings, or new skills with their colleagues in a safe environment.
Our flexi-first approach
We believe in the importance of a healthy work-life balance and the value of a flexible workforce. Our flexi-first approach outlines our commitment to a hybrid way of working and our expectations of Trainliners. A key part of what makes Trainline special is our people and the value we get from the buzz and energy of our workplaces, and that’s why we’re proud to offer the best of both worlds. In practice this means in–office attendance at least 40% of the time over a 12-week period for all Trainliners. These in-office days are typically team led to help us connect, collaborate and create together.
- Think Big - We're building the future of rail
- Own It - We care about every customer, partner and journey
- Do Good - We make a positive impact
- Travel Together - We're one team
Interested in finding out more about what it's like to work at Trainline? Why not check out what our employees say about us on Glassdoor? You can also find out more information by following us on LinkedIn or our 'Life at Trainline' Instagram account.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.