Senior Commercial Finance Manager
- Office: London
We are champions of rail, inspired to build a greener, more sustainable future of travel. Our purpose is our momentum. It makes us feel good because we know we’re doing good. As we lead the way to a greener future, we do it together. We’re all about connections - with each other, with our customers and with the world. Just as our platform brings the world together, it’s our ambition that connects us. We motivate each other to go beyond our limits, to experiment, to fail and to always grow.
With over 110 million visits every month to our platform and £4.3 billion in net ticket sales, we're always innovating and making moves towards our final destination — a world where travel is as simple, seamless, and affordable as it should be.
And we couldn't do any of it without our incredible people driving us forward. Today, we're a FTSE 250 company that's proudly home to more than 1000 Trainliners from over 60 nationalities across offices in London, Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Edinburgh, Berlin, Madrid and Brussels. It's this diversity that energises us and makes us stronger, helping us to achieve amazing things.
With our sights firmly set on further European growth, there is no better time to jump on board this high-speed train and be part of our continued success.
Supporting the Head of Financial Planning, you’ll collaborate closely with a range of cross-functional teams providing regular reporting up to the Exec and Board. With unique end-to-end visibility of Trainline’s group financial picture, you will help the Commercial and Finance teams understand the numbers more deeply to continue to grow the business and deliver the next stage of Trainline’s development in the UK & Continental Europe. You will be responsible for managing the annual budget and rolling forecast process, consolidating inputs into a concise story which you’ll present to the CFO and senior stakeholders from across the business.
Demonstrating strong commercial know-how, you’ll have previously been involved with a range of Financial Planning or Commercial Finance activity. Your analytical, inquisitive mindset goes without saying, and you’ll ideally bring strong Excel skills and have had exposure to financial modelling within a growth environment. We use Anaplan for our budget and forecasting, and while experience with the tool or something similar is a bonus, it’s not a requirement. A willingness to upskill and become an Anaplan power-user is required so you can deliver ever improving forecasting capabilities and process automation to the wider finance team.
- Own the annual budget & rolling / quarterly forecast process
- Enable the business through carefully thought out timetables which are clearly communicated
- Responsible for consolidating and crafting the overall story, which you’ll present to the CFO, while keeping an eye on guardrails defined through strategy
- Reporting of delivery against the plan in-year, flagging opportunities and risks and providing views to enable trade-offs and early course-correction
- Partnering the other areas of the business and liaising directly with senior leaders on an ad hoc basis
- Becoming a power-user of Anaplan, our forecasting tool:
- Building views on financial models in Anaplan
- Build and maintain financial models through understanding commercial drivers of the business and future growth plans
- Supporting the annual 3 Year Plan process partnering with business segments to create and develop proposals for achieving longer term growth targets as well as involvement in strategic reviews
- Ad-hoc project work to support the Exec
We’re looking for creative big thinkers with small egos to achieve our ambitious plans. You’ll be a qualified accountant ideally and have a strong academic track record and a proactive, can-do attitude. You may have previous experience within a digital, e-commerce or technology environment or be looking for your first role into this industry – we care less about the background and more about your ability to work with pace and energy within a fast moving, growth environment.
- A team player who will work for the success for Trainline.
- Willingness to get stuck in with a “roll your sleeves up” attitude
- Ability to think laterally to solve problems/initiatives/decisions
- Ability to communicate complex analysis clearly and effectively to senior team
- Excellent Excel skills; Good knowledge of Office suite
- Experience in Anaplan, or a similar tool, is a bonus but not essential
- Modelling/analytical techniques
- Strong commercial acumen
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
Why should you jump on board?
We pay special attention to learning and development and organise quarterly company learning days as well as offering a learning budget that can be put towards resources of your choice. We will cover the costs of your professional subscriptions and give you access to our very own learning platform.
At Trainline, we care about the wellness of our employees. We host puppy therapy sessions, in-office yoga and run Mental Health First Aider training courses as well as having an Employee Assistance Program as one of our many company benefits.
We regularly throw fun social events such pub quizzes, karaoke nights and our large-scale Summer and Winter Festivals every year. Additionally, we love hosting meetups in our amazing event spaces and having the opportunity to support internal and external community groups.
We also hold companywide hackathons and our annual Trainline Tech Summit, which provides Trainliners with an opportunity to stand up and share their story, learnings, or new skills with their colleagues in a safe environment.
Our flexi-first approach
We believe in the importance of a healthy work-life balance and the value of a flexible workforce. Our flexi-first approach outlines our commitment to a hybrid way of working and our expectations of Trainliners. A key part of what makes Trainline special is our people and the value we get from the buzz and energy of our workplaces, and that’s why we’re proud to offer the best of both worlds. In practice this means in–office attendance at least 40% of the time over a 12-week period for all Trainliners. These in-office days are typically team led to help us connect, collaborate and create together.
Think Big - We're building the future of rail
Own It - We care about every customer, partner and journey
Do Good - We make a positive impact
Travel Together - We're one team
Interested in finding out more about what it's like to work at Trainline? Why not check out what our employees say about us on Glassdoor? You can also find out more information by following us on LinkedIn or our 'Life at Trainline' Instagram account.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.