Senior Data Scientist
- Office: London
We are champions of rail, inspired to build a greener, more sustainable future of travel. Our purpose is our momentum. It makes us feel good because we know we’re doing good. As we lead the way to a greener future, we do it together. We’re all about connections - with each other, with our customers and with the world. Just as our platform brings the world together, it’s our ambition that connects us. We motivate each other to go beyond our limits, to experiment, to fail and to always grow.
With over 110 million visits every month to our platform and £4.3 billion in net ticket sales, we're always innovating and making moves towards our final destination — a world where travel is as simple, seamless, and affordable as it should be.
And we couldn't do any of it without our incredible people driving us forward. Today, we're a FTSE 250 company that's proudly home to more than 1000 Trainliners from over 60 nationalities across offices in London, Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Edinburgh, Berlin, Madrid and Brussels. It's this diversity that energises us and makes us stronger, helping us to achieve amazing things.
With our sights firmly set on further European growth, there is no better time to jump on board this high-speed train and be part of our continued success.
Great journeys start with Trainline.
Introducing Data Science at Trainline👋
Data Science is central to how we build products, delight our customers and grow our business. Our Data Scientists are embedded in cross-functional teams which exist across product and marketing. Data Scientists have a high degree of autonomy and are empowered to drive the success of their teams, using all data and techniques at their disposal.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will be involved in driving insights and strategy for the product team, creating and measuring value through experimentation, creating focus through metrics and goals, and building deep learning about what is most impactful for each team. You will be able to determine the underlying dynamics of our complex ecosystem and use this to deliver insights and strategic direction, but your main focus will be a complete obsession with driving impact within the product team, drawing on whatever analytical and statistical techniques that will unlock the most benefits.
Data science at Trainline exists within the wider data organisation as part of the tech org, and is complemented by data engineering teams, data platform teams, and ML teams for when deep ML and AI techniques are required. Our autonomous model creates a huge opportunity for personal influence and impact – as the data scientist on the team you will be actively driving innovation on the team by contributing to strategy, execution and continuous learning.
As a Data Scientist at Trainline, you will...🚄
As a Senior Data Scientist you will be responsible for influencing product and business outcomes, have the autonomy to make things happen and must obsess about having business impact. More specifically you will:
- Develop deep understanding of our product experiences and opportunities for growth
- Actively contribute to roadmap and goals for the product pillar
- Drive regular cross functional team reviews to measure progress toward goals
- Discover and articulate new product opportunities helping shape the team's direction
- Support product experiments, launches, growth through data-driven decision making while keeping the team accountable and impactful
- Define focus through metrics to enable a broad spectrum of learning from experimentation / release cycles
We'd love to hear from you if you have...🔍
- Proven experience in Data Science
- Ability to distil and communicate results of complex analysis clearly and effectively to all levels including senior management
- Experience of Product engagement evaluation and measurement of success. For example, running AB testing to evaluate product effectiveness or using front end data to quantify the effectiveness of new features and how it changes user engagement
- Ability to navigate data sets of varying complexity/ambiguity and conduct analysis to derive clear insights and actionable results
- Strong PowerPoint and presentation/communication skills
- Strong data visualisation skills using tools like Tableau, Spotfire, Power BI etc.
- Expertise in predictive modelling, including both parametric (e.g. logit/probit) and non-parametric (e.g. random forest, neural net) techniques as well as wider ML techniques like clustering / random forest (desirable)
- Tech Stack: SQL, Python, R, Tableau, Power BI, AWS Athena + More!
Why should you jump on board?
We pay special attention to learning and development and organise quarterly company learning days as well as offering a learning budget that can be put towards resources of your choice. We will cover the costs of your professional subscriptions and give you access to our very own learning platform.
At Trainline, we care about the wellness of our employees. We host puppy therapy sessions, in-office yoga and run Mental Health First Aider training courses as well as having an Employee Assistance Program as one of our many company benefits.
We regularly throw fun social events such pub quizzes, karaoke nights and our large-scale Summer and Winter Festivals every year. Additionally, we love hosting meetups in our amazing event spaces and having the opportunity to support internal and external community groups.
We also hold companywide hackathons and our annual Trainline Tech Summit, which provides Trainliners with an opportunity to stand up and share their story, learnings, or new skills with their colleagues in a safe environment.
Our flexi-first approach
We believe in the importance of a healthy work-life balance and the value of a flexible workforce. Our flexi-first approach outlines our commitment to a hybrid way of working and our expectations of Trainliners. A key part of what makes Trainline special is our people and the value we get from the buzz and energy of our workplaces, and that’s why we’re proud to offer the best of both worlds. In practice this means in–office attendance at least 40% of the time over a 12-week period for all Trainliners. These in-office days are typically team led to help us connect, collaborate and create together.
- Think Big - We're building the future of rail
- Own It - We care about every customer, partner and journey
- Do Good - We make a positive impact
- Travel Together - We're one team
Interested in finding out more about what it's like to work at Trainline? Why not check out what our employees say about us on Glassdoor? You can also find out more information by following us on LinkedIn or our 'Life at Trainline' Instagram account.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.