Senior Data Engineer (Scala)
- Office: London
We are champions of rail, inspired to build a greener, more sustainable future of travel. Our purpose is our momentum. It makes us feel good because we know we’re doing good. As we lead the way to a greener future, we do it together. We’re all about connections - with each other, with our customers and with the world. Just as our platform brings the world together, it’s our ambition that connects us. We motivate each other to go beyond our limits, to experiment, to fail and to always grow.
With over 110 million visits every month to our platform and £4.3 billion in net ticket sales, we're always innovating and making moves towards our final destination — a world where travel is as simple, seamless, and affordable as it should be.
And we couldn't do any of it without our incredible people driving us forward. Today, we're a FTSE 250 company that's proudly home to more than 1000 Trainliners from over 60 nationalities across offices in London, Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Edinburgh, Berlin, Madrid and Brussels. It's this diversity that energises us and makes us stronger, helping us to achieve amazing things.
With our sights firmly set on further European growth, there is no better time to jump on board this high-speed train and be part of our continued success.
Great journeys start with Trainline.
Introducing Data Engineering at Trainline
Data Engineering is essential to how we unlock the value of data at Trainline. Our mission is to liberate Trainline data and delight customers with great data products built on a frictionless, modern data platform. Our data products include machine learning models that add real value to the customer journey, streaming data applications that personalize the customer experience in real time, dashboards that drive deep business and customer insight and intuitive and efficient data marts and metrics built on our modern data lakehouse.
As a Senior Data Engineer (Scala), you will be part of a cross-functional data product team working alongside data scientists, machine learning engineers and BI engineers. Our data product teams are deeply embedded in the business so your work will have high impact by either drive key business decisions, provide deep customer insights or by adding intelligent machine learning experiences right in the core of our customer journeys.
We use an agile delivery playbook that encourages incremental and iterative delivery, aims to release value early and often, measure the impact of work and using hypotheses to ensure we are solving real customer problems. Our data platform is a modern, cloud-native, lake house using best-of-breed technologies and partners, all based on the AWS public cloud.
We empower our Data teams and give engineers high levels of autonomy and freedom to innovate. We encourage continuous learning with clear career progression plans, innovation/hack days and training opportunities such as DataCamp.
As a Senior Scala Data Engineer at Trainline, you will...🚄
- Use cutting-edge Data technology to deliver world-class data products using a combination of streaming technologies, machine learning and automated data pipelines.
- Work in self-organised, cross-functional data teams alongside machine learning engineers, BI engineers and product managers.
- Drive continuous improvement to the software engineering and agile working practices of the team.
- Contribute to the Technical / Architecture direction of the team.
We'd love to hear from you if you...🔍
- Thrive in a diverse, open and collaborative environment where impact is as valuable as technical skill.
- Have excellent knowledge of Scala and the JVM ecosystem.
- Possess strong understanding of functional programming paradigms and a willingness to adopt other languages (not only JVM languages).
- Have consistent background in software development in high volume environments.
- Have a pragmatic and open-minded approach to achieving outcomes in the simplest way possible.
- Have worked with stream processing technologies (Kafka, Storm, AWS Kinesis, etc).
- Have experience with AWS services especially EMR, ECS, EKS.
- Have an obsession with software quality, Dev Ops and automation.
- Work well in lean, agile, cross-functional product teams using Scrum and Kanban practices.
- Are a good communicator and comfortable with presenting ideas and outputs to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Our Technology Stack 💻
- Scala and the JVM.
- Kafka, Kafka Streams and KSQL.
- AWS, S3, Parquet, Iceberg, Glue and EMR for our Data Lake.
- Terraform and Docker.
- Elasticsearch and Dynamodb.
- Spark and Airflow.
- Trinio (Starburst) and Presto (Athena).
- ML Flow and popular Python machine learning and analysis libraries.
Why should you jump on board?
We pay special attention to learning and development and organise quarterly company learning days as well as offering a learning budget that can be put towards resources of your choice. We will cover the costs of your professional subscriptions and give you access to our very own learning platform.
At Trainline, we care about the wellness of our employees. We host puppy therapy sessions, in-office yoga and run Mental Health First Aider training courses as well as having an Employee Assistance Program as one of our many company benefits.
We regularly throw fun social events such pub quizzes, karaoke nights and our large-scale Summer and Winter Festivals every year. Additionally, we love hosting meetups in our amazing event spaces and having the opportunity to support internal and external community groups.
We also hold companywide hackathons and our annual Trainline Tech Summit, which provides Trainliners with an opportunity to stand up and share their story, learnings, or new skills with their colleagues in a safe environment.
Our flexi-first approach
We believe in the importance of a healthy work-life balance and the value of a flexible workforce. Our flexi-first approach outlines our commitment to a hybrid way of working and our expectations of Trainliners. A key part of what makes Trainline special is our people and the value we get from the buzz and energy of our workplaces, and that’s why we’re proud to offer the best of both worlds. In practice this means in–office attendance at least 40% of the time over a 12-week period for all Trainliners. These in-office days are typically team led to help us connect, collaborate and create together.
- Think Big - We're building the future of rail
- Own It - We care about every customer, partner and journey
- Do Good - We make a positive impact
- Travel Together - We're one team
Interested in finding out more about what it's like to work at Trainline? Why not check out what our employees say about us on Glassdoor? You can also find out more information by following us on LinkedIn or our 'Life at Trainline' Instagram account.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.