Senior QA Engineer
- Office: London
We are champions of rail, inspired to build a greener, more sustainable future of travel. Our purpose is our momentum. It makes us feel good because we know we’re doing good. As we lead the way to a greener future, we do it together. We’re all about connections - with each other, with our customers and with the world. Just as our platform brings the world together, it’s our ambition that connects us. We motivate each other to go beyond our limits, to experiment, to fail and to always grow.
With over 110 million visits every month to our platform and £4.3 billion in net ticket sales, we're always innovating and making moves towards our final destination — a world where travel is as simple, seamless, and affordable as it should be.
And we couldn't do any of it without our incredible people driving us forward. Today, we're a FTSE 250 company that's proudly home to more than 1000 Trainliners from over 60 nationalities across offices in London, Paris, Barcelona, Milan, Edinburgh, Berlin, Madrid and Brussels. It's this diversity that energises us and makes us stronger, helping us to achieve amazing things.
With our sights firmly set on further European growth, there is no better time to jump on board this high-speed train and be part of our continued success.
Great journeys start with Trainline.
Introducing Quality Assurance at Trainline👋
Quality is at the heart of our customer and engineering experiences. Our QA team helps define a set of industry best practices, techniques, and tools to enable our engineering teams to achieve the expected level of quality and increase our pace of delivery; thereby improve customer satisfaction, platform reliability and engineering productivity.
Purpose of the Role
This role operates within a small group of QA Engineering experts. The focus of this role is driving quality practices for our backend systems. You will be a quality expert to our backend product engineering teams, supplying specialist test knowledge, and sharing your hard-won experience. Teaching, coaching, and working with our backend engineering teams to enable the whole team to own quality, you will be confident in your expertise and an authority on what good looks like.
As a Senior QA Engineer at Trainline, you will...🚄
- Gain a good understanding of our products and backend services developed by engineering teams you work with. All our backend teams will give you the opportunity to work with a variety of technologies and patterns. At our core we have C# as our preferred language for backend services.
- Help grow the community of excellence across our backend product development teams by advocating and influencing the best quality practices.
- Work within your area to define quality outcomes and a roadmap to achieve them.
- Be able to write high quality code to create or enhance test frameworks.
- Actively consider key non-functional requirements for your area of work.
- Driving a self-organised agile team; accountable for your team’s delivery while promoting collaboration and transparency with stakeholders
We'd love to hear from you if you... 🔍
- Have had experience in organizations with a shift-left approach to quality.
- Very high energy and enthusiasm, with a passion for delivering awesome solutions.
- Have in-depth experience of planning, executing and validating tests for cloud hosted microservices APIs.
- Possess excellent engineering skills in C# and significant knowledge of automated test approaches and tooling.
- You have an excellent understanding and real-life experience of using TDD.
- Have a good understanding of CI/CD pipelines and managing tests within them.
- Have a good understanding of contract-based testing.
- Understand cloud-based microservices architecture and associated challenges.
- Have familiarity with containerization, databases, and observability tools.
- Have strong Agile experience with a good understanding of how Quality and Agile work together.
- Are a problem-solver who can apply their skills to technical issues.
- Are a pragmatic self-starter with a keen interest in technology.
- Know what good looks like, and how to get there - you are an experienced test expert who values the broad range of testing activities that together ensure quality in the product.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building, coaching, and influencing skills.
- Have the right attitude to challenge status quo and improve situation (continuous improvement and critical mind)
Why should you jump on board?
We pay special attention to learning and development and organise quarterly company learning days as well as offering a learning budget that can be put towards resources of your choice. We will cover the costs of your professional subscriptions and give you access to our very own learning platform.
At Trainline, we care about the wellness of our employees. We host puppy therapy sessions, in-office yoga and run Mental Health First Aider training courses as well as having an Employee Assistance Program as one of our many company benefits.
We regularly throw fun social events such pub quizzes, karaoke nights and our large-scale Summer and Winter Festivals every year. Additionally, we love hosting meetups in our amazing event spaces and having the opportunity to support internal and external community groups.
We also hold companywide hackathons and our annual Trainline Tech Summit, which provides Trainliners with an opportunity to stand up and share their story, learnings, or new skills with their colleagues in a safe environment.
Our flexi-first approach
We believe in the importance of a healthy work-life balance and the value of a flexible workforce. Our flexi-first approach outlines our commitment to a hybrid way of working and our expectations of Trainliners. A key part of what makes Trainline special is our people and the value we get from the buzz and energy of our workplaces, and that’s why we’re proud to offer the best of both worlds. In practice this means in–office attendance at least 40% of the time over a 12-week period for all Trainliners. These in-office days are typically team led to help us connect, collaborate and create together.
- Think Big - We're building the future of rail
- Own It - We care about every customer, partner and journey
- Do Good - We make a positive impact
- Travel Together - We're one team
Interested in finding out more about what it's like to work at Trainline? Why not check out what our employees say about us on Glassdoor? You can also find out more information by following us on LinkedIn or our 'Life at Trainline' Instagram account.
We value open expression at Trainline, we believe it’s the diversity of experience, backgrounds and perspectives of our employees that makes us who we are. We encourage everybody to play a part in changing the way people travel across the world.