Senior Scala Engineer
- Bucharest, Romania
- Department: Product & Engineering
We are disrupting a typically stagnant environment by connecting companies of all sizes and providing them with the trade technology platform and network needed to digitize and scale processes like procurement, invoicing, payments, and workflow.
Founded in 2010 in Copenhagen, Tradeshift boasts a global team of 750 employees with headquarters in San Francisco, California and development centers in Copenhagen, Bucharest, Aarhus, San Francisco, and Suzhou.
Tradeshift is looking for a Senior Engineer with a strong background in Scala/Java development to join our Tradeshift Go team in Global Product and Engineering. The Go team builds end user experiences that enable organizations to use virtual credit cards to provide visibility and control over long tail procurement spend. Put simply, Tradeshift Go lets our customers avoid paper receipts and overblown employee spend by issuing pre-approved, encrypted vcards through one simple app. Our services are used by companies ranging from fortune 500 enterprises to micro businesses.
We are a rapidly growing team of engineers and product specialists with a charter to scale the architecture and product features of Go to meet the demands of its exponential growth and adoption. It is fun and exhilarating!
What you will do:
- You will build business-critical features for Tradeshift Go in collaboration with other product and engineering teams in an Agile/Scrum environment. Your key responsibilities include requirements gathering, design, implementation, testing until deployment, and verification
- You will conduct code reviews for your peers to ensure the quality of the design by avoiding complexity and advocating clarity within the team
- You will provide support to customer facing teams when product issues arise and work actively with internal and external stakeholders towards resolution
- You will collaborate with your team members to identify opportunities, propose designs, and implement solutions to improve engineering productivity and level-up the overall craftsmanship of our products
Who you are:
You are passionate about the impact of your work and dedicated to meeting your commitments. You are enthusiastic about making a difference and motivated by the success of our customers and Tradeshift. You are excited to learn new technologies, and are willing to dive into unknown territories. You are inclined towards software engineering best practices, pragmatic solutions, and are proud to own the quality of your deliverables.
You are perfect for this role if:
- You have 5+ years of software development using Scala/Java. Prior experience with Scala and Akka is a huge plus
- You have a deep understanding and experience developing REST-based resilient microservices
- You have worked with distributed concurrent systems and are familiar with actor-based concurrency model
- You have worked with SQL databases, such as PostgreSQL and MySQL, and understand eventual consistency and distributed transaction patterns
- You have experience building applications on top of Docker, Kubernetes, and AWS
- You have worked in structured development and build environments that included continuous integration, automated testing, automated configuration, and deployment
- You are fluent in written and verbal English
- You have a BS degree in computer science or equivalent
Nice to have skills:
- Projects developed in languages like Python, NodeJS/Typescript are a big plus
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB or Dynamo
- Experience with web-based security paradigms (e.g. OAuth, OpenId, SSO/SAML, WS-Security, PKI) is great
- Datadog, Consul, Splunk experience is a plus
Tradeshift Engineering culture:
First and foremost, we care. We care for each other, the business, our users and our code. We care for democratizing business and building the world’s largest network for businesses.
We make decisions every day where two good things are at odds. Our daily activities & choices are a reflection of the preferences we hold strongest. These statements, created in the same form as the agile manifesto, show where our preferences lie.
- Being on an adventure over being safe and cuddled
- Helping my team deliver over making individual contributions
- Being part of a global team over supporting my immediate neighbors
- Delivering on promises over working predictable hours
- Building products users love over products users request
- Accountability for my work over focusing on current tasks
- Working on the full product over focusing on technical perfection
- Getting feedback and learning over unwavering execution
- An ambitious international startup and Agile environment
- Competitive compensation package
- Career and professional development opportunities (workshops, training sessions etc.)
- Trips to international design camps, sharing knowledge with professionals from other parts of the world
- Flexible working hours
- Cool company laptop
- Medical Subscription, Meal tickets for each working day, Bookster access
When we used to go to the office, we also had:
- Free drinks & snacks daily, fresh fruits
- Safe outdoor bike parking spot
- Relaxing spots
- Cool team-bonding events such as Team Camps, Hack-a-thons, Game & Field Days,
- Welcome Breakfast, Happy Hours, Birthdays Celebrations and more
- Friendly and chill working atmosphere overall ♣