Senior Software Engineer
- Bucharest, Romania
- Department: Product & Engineering
We are disrupting a typically stagnant environment by connecting companies of all sizes and providing them with the platform and network needed to create value from old processes like procurement, invoicing, payments, and workflow. We recognize that business is both messy and social - two revelations that have driven the development of Tradeshift, a platform for all your business interactions.
Tradeshift Culture. Our culture began day one when three Danes poured their brains, heart, and guts into creating a platform that could connect every business in the world. We expect each colleague to approach their work with the same amount of pride and passion. TradeShifters come from various backgrounds and nations, and we all thrive off challenging the status quo. We take pride in nurturing employee happiness, encouraging personal development, and welcoming teammates from all walks of life.
Team. You will be part of the Platform organisation in the Global Product & Engineering. The Platform organisation has its main focus on building core systems and products that are used by all users on the tradeshift platform, and APIs and libraries used by our own engineering departments building products like Pay and Buy, as well as our customers and partners for custom integrations.
Working in Platform is all about scale, working with systems with millions of transactions every day, and finding solutions to complex problems - it's fun and challenging.
We are looking for an experienced Backend Engineer who, preferably, is inclined and curious to take on frontend work as well, or for a Full Stack Developer.
Role. We expect that you know how to do load balancing, identify bottlenecks in large distributed systems, which metrics to monitor for overall platform health, do DB tuning, etc, etc. all the jazz that comes with making a global, multi-tenant always-on platform scale with very rapid growth.
We will provide you with ample opportunity to provide a ton of value, solve real problems, and if you are good enough, articulate longer term thinking for the site reliability effort.
What a day is like:
- Build business-critical features used for the Tradeshift Platform in collaboration with our Tradeshift product and engineering teams in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Tackle existing scalability and reliability challenges: enabling load balancing of individual components, improving data structures, evaluating queue technology alternatives, implementing autoscaling, database tuning
- Design and write high-quality, tested and peer-reviewed code, building out large scale load, performance testing frameworks for a microservices landscape, resilience testing tools, and other quality gateways for microservices
- Help getting insights by improving monitoring, metrics, alerting and logging and improve system monitorability and speed by fixing errors and reducing technical depth
- Helping with investigations and root cause analysis, often in real time, troubleshooting existing software related platform issues that are impacting our customers
- Provide support to customer facing teams and mentoring to team members
- Identify opportunities, design and implement solutions to improve engineering productivity
- Have fun while solving challenging problems for our platform
You’re perfect for this role if you:
- Have 5+ years of experience and deep understanding of Java-based applications and Spring Framework or similar
- You can demonstrate proper software engineering practices, are pragmatic in your solutions, and take ownership for the quality of your deliveries
- Have a deep understanding and practice in developing REST-based microservices architectures
- You are comfortable working with relational databases and transactions
- You are interested in problems around concurrency, scalability, and distributed systems
- Know how to build resilient architectures, work with eventual consistency and asynchronous messaging systems
- BA/BS in Computer Science preferred, or equivalent experience
Nice to have skills & experience:
- Curiosity towards new technologies, programming languages, frameworks, etc.
- You are comfortable developing on Linux / Unix operating systems and building applications on top of Docker, Kubernetes and cloud infrastructure.
- Good datastores skills (Postgresql, ElasticSearch, Kafka or similar)
- Curious about monitoring the applications and services, like adding telemetry to code and debugging distributed systems
- Have a deep understanding of the full web stack and technologies
- Proficient in English for conversations, reading and writing
Here, at Tradeshift:
- We are building the world’s largest network and platform. It’s difficult. It’s challenging. But we do it because we would rather tackle overwhelming challenges than playing it safe
- We care for each other, the business, our users and our code. We care for democratizing business and building the world’s largest network for businesses
- Shifters come from various
- backgrounds and nations, and we all thrive off challenging the status quo. We take pride in nurturing employee happiness, encouraging personal development, and welcoming teammates from all walks of life
- We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
You might like working here if:
- You love autonomy and the freedom to get your work done how you want
- You like sharing your opinions and feeling like they matter
Our office in Bucharest had, before Corona times (now we are all working from home), a palpable excitement that stems from the constant change that keeps everyone on their toes. Each colleague has a voice, and their hard work pays off. No good work goes unnoticed.
- Working fully in cloud, you only need your company provided laptop
- Ambitious international startup, and agile environment in Bucharest, Romania
- Competitive compensation package
- Career and professional development opportunities (workshops, training programs, coaching etc.)
- Flexible work hours
- Medical Subscription
- Access to Bookster
- Friendly and relaxed working atmosphere
- Relaxing spots, games - ping pong, board games
- Fun team-bonding events such as Team Camps, Hackathons, Game & Field Days