Staff Engineer - Cash Product and Platform Team
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Department: Product & Engineering
Have you ever worked for a company that actually wanted you to bring your whole self to work every single day?
Tradeshift is a unicorn in the fin-tech industry. We are disrupting a typically stagnant environment by connecting companies of all sizes and providing them with the platform and network needed to create value from old processes like procurement, invoicing, payments, and workflow. We recognize that business is both messy and social - two revelations that have driven the development of Tradeshift, a platform for all your business interactions.
About the Team
Tradeshift's software engineers in San Francisco develop next-generation financial services that impact how large numbers of buyers and sellers connect, interact, and get financial assistance from our banking institution partners. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend beyond our core products: Pay and Buy. We're looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including financing models, complex digital document workflows, distributed computing, large-scale system design, application level security, efficient use of AWS platform; the list goes on and is growing every day.
As a Staff engineer, you will work on projects critical to Tradeshift’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. Our staff engineers are versatile, display leadership qualities, and excited to take on new problems across our platform as we continue to push the technology forward.
On the financial services team, you’ll be working with a group of engineers and product specialists that are fast moving and tasked with building the foundations for great financing apps and prototyping simple user experiences. You’ll have the opportunity to build software that makes lending solutions more collaborative and useful for large number of buyers and sellers on our network. Engineers on the financial services team influence business-to-business payments, introduce entirely new banking models, enable smoother global commerce by removing complexities involved in the cross border transactions, and deliver pivotal software infrastructure to enable these concepts. Our focus is to make financing accessible to businesses.
What you will be doing:
- Design/Launch Financial Services, building APIs via micro services and tools
- Develop high quality code while articulating your designs, decisions within team and engineering as a whole
- Adapt to fast pace business by shipping products on time that affect bottomline
- Collaborate within and other teams of Tradeshift engineering globally
- Leverage technologies/frameworks like Spring, Postgres, Redis, and AWS platform services
- Work on projects in Java and/or Scala
- Define all aspects of development from appropriate technology and workflow to coding standards
- Oversee progress of development team to ensure consistency with initial design
- Provide technical guidance and coaching to developers and engineers
- Ensure software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability, extensibility, etc.
You’re perfect for this role if you:
You love solving for challenging coding problems in collaboration with your team. You value your teammates' opinions and ideas, enjoy guiding and coaching your colleagues, and are excited to problem solve.
You also have:
MS Degree in Computer Science or a related field and 8+ years of practical experience in a technical environment. Required experience must include 8 years of experience in the following areas:
- Software development experience with Java, Scala or similar (Spring, Hibernate)
- Experience in distributed software engineering
- Experience with debugging and troubleshooting complex operational problems
- Skills in working with data persistence (schema design, optimization) in all forms (relational, noSQL, in-memory, COLUMNAR, etc.)
- Understanding of developer pipeline (CI/CD, automated testing techniques, automated configuration management, etc.)
- Skilled, efficient, resourceful and tenacious problem solver of technical issues
- Effectively communicates on technical topics with technical and non-technical people
At our Headquarters in San Francisco, you’ll be surrounded by the best and brightest in the industry, as well as a few of our furry friends. Your colleagues are wicked smart and some of the kindest and nicest people around. We’re never assholes. You’ll be given the opportunity to do creative problem solving for issues that actually matter, and have a real impact on the projects you are driving.
Our culture began day one when three Danes poured their brains, heart, and guts into creating a platform that could connect every business in the world. We expect each employee to approach their work with the same amount of pride and passion. One day you might find us having a ping pong match in the middle of the work day, and then you’ll find us handing off projects to colleagues in different time zones so we can continue progress around the clock.
TradeShifters come from various backgrounds and nations, and we all thrive off challenging the status quo. We take pride in nurturing employee happiness, encouraging personal development, and welcoming teammates from all walks of life.
We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why you might like working here:
- You love autonomy and the freedom to get your work done how you want
- You like sharing your opinions and feeling like they matter
- You want to work for a company that requires you to bring your whole self to work every day: brains, heart, and guts.
- Career and professional development opportunities
- Flexible hours and vacation policy
- Supplemented cell phone plan
- Lunch provided daily from local SF eateries and snacks
- Fully paid 6 months parental leave
- A competitive compensation package + equity
- 100% covered medical, dental and vision benefits
- Life, short and long-term disability insurance
- Wellness and volunteer Programs
- Fun company events like happy hours, outings and much more!
This is a full-time role based in our downtown San Francisco office. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.