Backend Engineer (Zones)
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Department: Product & Engineering
Have you ever worked for a company that actually wanted you to bring your whole self to work every single day?
Tradeshift is a unicorn in the fintech industry. We are disrupting a typically stagnant environment by connecting companies of all sizes and providing them with the platform and network needed to create value from old processes like procurement, invoicing, payments, and workflow. We recognize that business is both messy and social - two revelations that have driven the development of Tradeshift, a platform for all your business interactions.
The zones team is a small, but awesome, team that is tasked with increasing the connectivity between our geographically distributed deployments. We provide the tools, infrastructure, and know-how needed to allow services in our core network to be distributed and functional on a global scale. We work on creating the needed services, designing protocols and APIs, making legacy systems play nice, helping out other teams that need to have their services deployed and communicate between data centres. We run a very light kanban process in the team, and feel that any process that doesn’t have a very clear reason for existing is evil.
As a software developer on the zones team, you would be expected to be ready to tackle challenging coding tasks in go or java, with the support of the rest of the team. As we are a team working across multiple business areas and components, you’ll also be asked to investigate existing functionality and identify the best extension options. We perform code reviews of every single change that is merged into master, which means you will spend some of your day reading, writing, fixing, and contesting GitHub pull request reviews as well.
What a day is like:
We take pride in not taking ourselves too seriously, but when we do scale back the crazy, our colorful backlog contains many tasks that need our attention:
- Create kubernetes helm charts to deploy a new service into production
- Take a deep dive into the java core of the main backend to hunt down a bug in remote company lookups
- Create a smoke test microservice to verify our functionality continuously in the sandbox
- Set up mutual TLS for our new service
- Perform pull request reviews
- Update RAML specifications and add contract tests for REST APIs
- Write unit tests for upcoming functionality
- Fix the Elastic Load Balancer setup in the EU region
- Add postgres database and model to our service
- Design an event journal to be consumed by client components
- Improve the datadog metrics for our main data centre proxy
- Release and deploy version 1.3 of the company profile service
- Update our docker-compose test stack with new components needed for integration tests
- Extract a new microservice from an existing legacy component to introduce new functionality while also making the world a better place.
- Take a timeout and go for a therapeutic beer (we don’t have that on the backlog actually, but we should!)
You’re perfect for this role if:
are a team player that enjoys challenging problems around distributed data, doesn’t shy away from new technologies, and gets kicks out of finding the right hammer for the job.
You also have:
- 2+ years of professional experience with go, java, or another language.
- Experience deploying applications on docker and/or kubernetes
- An interest in network protocols and/or encryption schemes
- Passion for good code
- Experience with SQL databases
- Fluency in English
Our office in Copenhagen offers employees daily catered meals, as well as a great work/life balance, allowing them to work from home when necessary. You’ll also have the opportunity to step up and troubleshoot, while coming up with your own solutions to problems.
Our culture began day one when three Danes poured their brains, heart, and guts into creating a platform that could connect every business in the world. We expect each employee to approach their work with the same amount of pride and passion. One day you might find us having a ping pong match in the middle of the work day, and then you’ll find us handing off projects to colleagues in different time zones so we can continue progress around the clock.
TradeShifters come from various backgrounds and nations, and we all thrive off challenging the status quo. We take pride in nurturing employee happiness, encouraging personal development, and welcoming teammates from all walks of life.
We value diversity and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why you might like working here:
- You love autonomy and the freedom to get your work done how you want
- You like sharing your opinions and feeling like they matter
- You want to work for a company that requires you to bring your whole self to work every day: brains, heart, and guts.
- Fixed Transport & Communication Allowance
- Daily lunch and snacks provided by the company
- Extensive medical insurance coverage
- Optical and Dental benefits