- 39 N 9th St, Clarkdale, AZ 86324, USA
Town of Clarkdale, Arizona (Pop. 4,300) seeks an energetic, experienced planning professional who is excited to assist in leading the evolution of our Town’s development by filling the role of Planner II. This individual appreciates the uniqueness of a small, rural town and is prepared to engage the public in effective communications towards ongoing community success.
The annual salary range for this position is $43,143-$69,029, DOQ.. This is an hourly, FLSA non-exempt position.
Located in central Arizona, Clarkdale is a charming, historic town, on the banks of the Verde River and at the base of Mingus Mountain. Ideally situated above the heat of the desert and below the cold of Arizona’s high country, Clarkdale enjoys a moderate year-round climate at an elevation of 3,500 feet.
DESCRIPTION: Under limited supervision, leads the administration, research and analysis of planning, zoning, subdivision, design review and land use development issues. Processes General Plan amendments, zoning and site plan applications and prepares reports and staff recommendations for presentation to the Planning Commission, Design Review Board and Town Council. Coordinates with other Town departments relative to development and zoning issues. Performs advanced planning duties associated with both the current and long-range planning functions of the Community Development Department.
CLASSIFICATION: Employees of this class are expected to function as a team leader on complex projects that require gathering, analyzing, and presenting technical data in a municipal setting. This is a non-exempt, full-time, classified position with full benefits.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
Essential functions and duties may be modified at any time at management’s discretion. Typical duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Receives and reviews zoning, development, variance, and subdivision requests.
- Prepares staff reports on items coming before boards and commissions for work sessions and/or public hearings and presents the same to Boards, Commissions, and Town Council.
- Leads the preparation and publication of agendas, statutory notifications, Board and Commission packets.
- Answers questions and provides information to the public, staff and outside agencies regarding zoning, land use, and the general plan, and exercises discretion in the performance of tasks.
- Prepare studies and reports on planning, zoning, and land use issues.
- Prepares text amendments and conducts public hearings as required by Arizona Revised Statutes and Town procedures.
- Provides technical assistance and make recommendations to developers, engineers architects and the public.
- Works directly with the Community Development Director in managing projects, attending meetings, following up with applicants, developers, and outside agency representatives.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning Geography, Architecture, or any closely related field with a minimum of two (2) years full time experience, or any combination of education and/or experience which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of community planning and urban design.
- Ability to conduct planning studies and formulate recommendations based on thorough analysis of such studies.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other employees, outside agencies, developers, Town Council, appointed Boards and Commissions and the public.
- Knowledge and ability to apply Arizona Revised Statutes to planning issues for conformance to state law.
- Ability to meet and work under prescribed deadlines.
- Familiarity with ArcView GIS and/or Adobe publication software.
- Knowledge and familiarity with internet search engines, sites, and research tools.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This classification involves work that requires:
- Vision sufficient to read plans, diagrams, regulations, computer screens and computer print outs, and other documents encountered in the course of work.
- Hearing sufficient to hear conversations in person and over the telephone.
- Speech sufficient to make oneself heard and understood in person, in front of groups, in meetings, and over the telephone.
- Mobility sufficient to safely work in all environments as may be encountered in a variety of indoor settings.
- Dexterity sufficient to safely operate office equipment including computers.
- Strength sufficient to lift, carry, and move up to 60 (sixty) pounds in weight.
- Endurance sufficient to sit, walk, and stand for extended periods, and maintain efficiency throughout the entire work shift and during extended work hours.
- Work is regularly performed in an inside office environment.
- The noise level is varied as in traditional office environments and around standard office equipment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, controls, keyboard, and standard office equipment and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee may be required to work outside normally scheduled hours and/or assigned to report to a specific location for training and/or meeting attendance.
- The Town of Clarkdale is a drug-free, smoke-free work environment.
THE TOWN OF CLARKDALE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER (EOE).
A completed Clarkdale employment application in addition to a cover letter and resume is required. This recruitment is open until filled with initial review of applications on Friday, October 8, 2021. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Additional information may be required of candidates throughout the screening and selection process, or upon its conclusion. Pre-employment background testing will be conducted on the successful candidate. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.