Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We strive to be a leader in building and cultivating an employee community framed around fairness, support and opportunity. We believe that what makes us different, makes a difference. And as a team, the diversity of our backgrounds, interests and experiences is what enriches our work, and our workplaces. We welcome all, and we strive for an inclusive culture that allows individual growth and shared success.
The Toronto Star has is currently recruiting for a Journalist classification in the Editorial Department. Journalists can be assigned to any newsroom department across a variety of assignments and locations. The initial assignment for the successful candidate will be as a business reporter.
Toronto Star Journalists must be able to report and write authoritatively on breaking news, as well as provide perspective and analysis. We are seeking journalists with proven news reporting skills and a mastery of intelligent, conversational and visual story-telling skills.
The successful candidates will collaborate with colleagues throughout the newsrooms and think beyond traditional narratives to produce stories that are accurate, comprehensive, compelling, and relevant. They are digitally savvy and ready to experiment with new forms of storytelling and incorporate feedback from customer analytics to ensure that content leads to engagement and subscriptions. The focus will be daily reporting with some feature writing.
- Meaningful professional experience as a business reporter, ideally 5-10 years of experience in this capacity
- Advanced journalism skills with a deep knowledge of current affairs, business and capital markets, and a focus on business news that matters most to people living in the Greater Toronto Area
- Excellent news judgment; story-telling, and multimedia skills
- Advanced writing skills and story-telling ability that lead to a conversational daily product
- Energy and creativity, with a passion for understanding issues facing the city of Toronto issues
- A self-starter who is flexible and able to generate quality story ideas
- Able to simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks
- Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented and deadline-driven that enables the production of succinct, clear, and accurate copy on deadline
- Interview and newsgathering skills and instincts to draw out subjects and gather the relevant information to bring a story to life
- Able to develop and maintain contacts and sources, skillfully interview people in often-demanding situations and show resourcefulness
- Diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with access to information procedures and databases
- Well versed in CP style
This is a notice of vacancy under Article 8 of collective agreement between Toronto Star Newspapers Limited and Unifor Local 87M. The hours of work for this position will vary according to the assignment, but will all conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement. These positions will be located Toronto.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.