Program & Development Associate
The Toronto Star is Canada’s largest daily newspaper and is read in print and across desktop, mobile and tablet platforms by more than 6 million readers every week. Online, thestar.com is one of the most-visited newspaper websites in Canada.
The Toronto Star Children's Charities has been bringing hope and joy to kids since 1901 through initiatives like the Santa Claus Fund and the Fresh Air Fund.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We strive to be a leader in building and cultivating an employee community framed around fairness, support and opportunity. We believe that what makes us different, makes a difference. And as a team, the diversity of our backgrounds, interests and experiences is what enriches our work, and our workplaces. We welcome all, and we strive for an inclusive culture that allows individual growth and shared success.
Support the programs and fundraising of The Toronto Star Children’s Charities, working under the direction of the Senior Manager, Toronto Star Children’s Charities.
Fundraising Activity & Donor Engagement
- Support the diverse fundraising strategies of the TSCC through asset development, donor relations, and database management.
- Develop and maintain material supports for community event fundraisers.
- Respond to organizer inquiries and advise on best practices for events and fundraising.
- Approve or escalate promotional materials from community fundraiser’s for approval.
- Steward community fundraisers to encourage retention and upgrade amount raised.
- Develop engagement and stewardship materials including newsletters, thank you letter copy, etc.
- Support donor stewardship activities including thank you calls, volunteer days, etc.
- Leveraging NXT knowledge support on-going database maintenance through de-duplication, gift coding, constituent record maintenance, etc.
- Coordinate Santa Claus Fund volunteers including building the volunteer scheduling website, organizing each depot needs, responding to volunteer inquiries,
- Build, deploy and evaluate the volunteer survey at the end of gift box deliveries.
- Steward volunteers to thank and encourage them to return.
- Support the organization of depots and depot coordinators for Santa Claus Fund gift delivery.
- Support working with agencies for SCF gift box recipients.
- Support Fresh Air Fund grant applications deployment and evaluations.
Donor Relations & Other Inquiries
- Working in tandem with the Coordinator, Toronto Star Children’s Charities, respond to inquiries to Toronto Star Children’s Charities phone and inboxes, as required.
- Refer/escalate severe public issues to the Senior Manager.
- Provide general program information to public inquiries and prepare standard answers to common inquiries – i.e. campaign launch date, fundraising goal, number of children served per program, area served, eligibility criteria, etc.
- Scan cheques to the bank when needed.
- Support other donation processing as needed and advise on process updates.
This position may require weekends and/or evenings on occasion.
- A certificate in Fundraising Management or equivalent.
- 2-3 years’ experience with a comprehensive understanding of charitable organizations, fundraising, and CRA requirements.
- Knowledge and expertise in RE NXT’s robust functionality, including data integrity, donor segmentation, email marketing, and report builder.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Web Savvy
- Interpersonal skills
- Verbal and written communication
- Analytical/organizational skills
- Time management
- Detail oriented
- Customer service
- Experience managing and organizing large groups of volunteers is considered an asset.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.