Metroland is excited to be participating in Canada’s new 'Local Journalism Initiative' which aims to which aims to promote local journalism in previously underserved communities in Canada.
The Grimsby Lincoln News is seeking an energetic, keen reporter with a degree in journalism or equivalent for a unique and exceptional opportunity.
During this temporary full time contract, you will be expected to produce a minimum of 5-7 stories weekly and report to the managing editor. There is an expectation your stories will all be published in the Niagara region print and web edition. Your stories will be available for upload to other media outlets and the many Torstar publication websites. The contract ends March 31, 2024
Annual Base Salary: $43,000. Your salary will be paid to you by Metroland through a grant from The Government of Canada.
The successful candidate will report on municipal government in the Niagara region focusing on West Lincoln and Grimsby.
- A keen interest in reporting on municipal issues.
- Ability to take quality photographs and video and edit for publication.
- Generate fresh and interesting story ideas.
- Must be well-versed in Canadian Libel Law and Canadian Press Style.
- Coordinate with the local news editor to consistently produce interesting and local newsworthy stories told in traditional and non-traditional ways.
- Produce high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Produce engaging multi-media content for website and social media outlets, including video and audio posts.
- Travel throughout the community to capture events and information outside of structured work hours including evenings and weekends.
- At least one year of experience working in a newsroom environment
- Strong interviewing, social media and online journalism skills
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic
- Photography and videography skills
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekend
- Must have access to a vehicle and a valid Driver’s License
- Strong communication skills both verbal and especially written skills (Canadian Press Style).
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual that can build professional relationships with team members.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We strive to be a leader in building and cultivating an employee community framed around fairness, support and opportunity. We believe that what makes us different, makes a difference. And as a team, the diversity of our backgrounds, interests and experiences is what enriches our work, and our workplaces. We welcome all, and we strive for an inclusive culture that allows individual growth and shared success.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.