Editorial Writer – Future Opportunities
The Toronto Star’s Editorial Board is always looking for nifty writers for potential upcoming opportunities as an Editorial Writer.
The Editorial Writer is responsible for writing editorials on a wide variety of subjects. The successful candidate will be required to absorb complex subjects and make sense of them quickly. The primary task is writing, but this role also involves editing and overseeing of the editorial pages in the absence of the editorial page editor.
The successful candidate will be an accomplished writer with broad experience covering a wide variety of subjects. You will be agile, collaborative, and eager to work through ideas with colleagues. You will show a thoughtful and thorough understanding of the Toronto Star’s editorial principles and values as well as the Star’s positions on important issues.
If you would like to join our Editorial team and be considered for future opportunities, please consider submitting your resume and portfolio. When a new position becomes available, we will reach out to you directly at that time to review the opportunity in more detail. This posting is for a future opportunity and not for an active position. As such, you may not hear back from us immediately.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We strive to be a leader in building and cultivating an employee community framed around fairness, support and opportunity. We believe that what makes us different, makes a difference. And as a team, the diversity of our backgrounds, interests and experiences is what enriches our work, and our workplaces. We welcome all, and we strive for an inclusive culture that allows individual growth and shared success.
- Demonstrated commitment to the Torstar values of collaboration, focus, selflessness, agility, and results
- Meaningful professional experience (5 years or more) at a major news organization
- Advanced journalism skills with a deep, broad knowledge of current affairs. Experience covering public affairs (such as a political bureau and/or major beats) is a distinct asset
- Excellent news judgment, storytelling, and multimedia skills
- Advanced writing skills and story-telling ability
- Demonstrated ability in opinion writing
- Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented and deadline-driven that enables the production of succinct, clear, and accurate copy on deadline
- Diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with access to information procedures and databases
- Well versed in CP style
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.