Data Engineering Developer (Future Opportunities)
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
Our Commitment To Diversity
We strive to be a leader in building and cultivating an employee community framed around fairness, support and opportunity. We believe that what makes us different, makes a difference. And as a team, the diversity of our backgrounds, interests and experiences is what enriches our work, and our workplaces. We welcome all, and we strive for an inclusive culture that allows individual growth and shared success.
The Data Analytics team is always interested in connecting with talented and passionate data professionals for upcoming Data Engineering Developer opportunities to join our team. If you are interested in growing your career with a leading-edge data organization and using some of the most modern technologies available, we want to hear from you!
If you would like to join our data talent community and be considered for future opportunities, please consider submitting your resume and application. When a new position that matches your background and experience becomes available, we will reach out to you directly at that time to review the opportunity in more detail. This posting is for future opportunities and not for an active position. As such, you may not hear back from us immediately.
What You Will Do
- Develop, solution, and troubleshoot cloud-based Data ingestion, processing, and analytics frameworks in an AWS environment
- Develop new solutions related to data analytics using a wide array of open source libraries and Python, driving business value
- Review code and suggest robust and scalable solutions and provide clear trails for auditing
- Ensure development code is reviewed and tested carefully for scalability and accountability when promoting to production
- Review and document problems related to production and in-development code-based data pipelines and solutions
Who You Are
- Inspired to design, develop, and document the data engineering roadmap, supporting enterprise-wide analytics, data visualization, machine learning, and code-driven data transformation processes
- A liaison between team members, able to align overall development practices as well as review all code before promotion to ensure uniformity within the team and alignment with industry best practices
- A compelling and clear communicator, able to craft a long-term vision, set goals to meet them and represent your team’s best work to stakeholders with varying levels of technical fluency
What You Will Bring
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science or engineering or relevant work experience
- 1-2+ years experience with data focused development as your main role
- Knowledge of RDBMS, SQL, and noSQL
- Experience writing high quality code in Python
- Hands on experience with any or all the following: Docker, Airflow, and/or Jenkins
- Experience building and optimizing technical environments in the cloud such as AWS, Azure or GCP
- Working knowledge of AWS Kinesis, Lambda, RDS, DynamoDB, EMR or related tool sets in other cloud environments in considered an asset
- Experience reviewing, improving, and debugging production-level issues with other’s code
- Experience in digital media is considered an asset
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry. You'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving, and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & pension (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE you will work and learn from!
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.