Metroland Media is a dynamic Media Company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, provides local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland.
Metroland's diverse array of online products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We are continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com
Our Commitment To Diversity
We strive to be a leader in building and cultivating an employee community framed around fairness, support and opportunity. We believe that what makes us different, makes a difference. And as a team, the diversity of our backgrounds, interests and experiences is what enriches our work, and our workplaces. We welcome all, and we strive for an inclusive culture that allows individual growth and shared success.
Metroland’s Toronto Distribution Centre is looking for a full-time Maintenance Technician for its distribution operation. Reporting into the Head of Maintenance & Facilities and to the Director of Distribution, this position will be responsible for preventative maintenance of its automated inserting equipment and repairs/upkeep of other operational equipment.
- Must be aware of all safety standards and requirements for maintenance work
- Helping schedule onsite contractors, as needed
- Safe maintenance working procedures
- Auditing and improving maintenance processes
- Day Shift – Sunday 9:00am-7:00pm; Monday, Tuesday 7:00am-7:00pm; Wednesday 7:00am-4:00pm
- (At times, the days and the hours of work may vary dependent on operational needs)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Head of Maintenance, Machine Operators, and onsite contractors
- Perform the required maintenance on all stationary equipment, plant equipment and building components of the Plant.
- Carry out regular inventory control procedures
- Maintain weekly/monthly inspection of all equipment in the warehouse i.e.: conveyors/delivery systems, inserting equipment, stackers, straps, and all other related equipment
- Modify and fabricate equipment to fit new production requirements or solve production issues
- Perform cutting, grinding, fabricating, and welding as required.
- Operate pallet moving equipment as required
- Constantly monitor plant equipment to pinpoint problems before they arise
- Complete and enforce all duties in accordance with our Health and Safety policies and the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Some weekends and night shift work will be required during major breakdowns or emergency “call-in” situations
- Completion of Post-Secondary Education
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a mechanical field
- Must be able to work in an unpredictable production environment
- Must have good verbal and written communications skills and be able to communicate to all levels
- Must be a self-starter, inwardly motivated and proactive individual, and need to be able to work productively with a minimum amount of supervision and follow up
- This position requires good visual acuity and some lifting and bending. Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
Assets and Key Competencies
- Previous experience in the printing industry
- Skyjack training
- Forklift training
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Learning on the fly
- Perseverance, problem solving, and action oriented
- Reimbursement of Safety Shoes
- Attractive Health and Dental Benefits Plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- CAAT Pension Plan
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.