Metroland Media is a dynamic Media Company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, provides local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland.
Metroland's diverse array of on-line products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com
Our Commitment To Diversity
We strive to be a leader in building and cultivating an employee community framed around fairness, support and opportunity. We believe that what makes us different, makes a difference. And as a team, the diversity of our backgrounds, interests and experiences is what enriches our work, and our workplaces. We welcome all, and we strive for an inclusive culture that allows individual growth and shared success.
The Peterborough Examiner is looking for an enthusiastic, experienced full-time Reporter who is skilled in story telling for both digital and print platforms. The Examiner serves Peterborough city and county, a large geographic area with a mix of urban and rural communities.
The successful Journalist will be a talented self-starter who can provide a wide range of stories on compelling and important topics of relevance to Peterborough readers.
This position involves general assignment reporting and photography on three days of the week, including covering breaking news, in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
The position also involves working Saturdays and Sundays to cover breaking news, update The Examiner's website with news and sports and finalize content for print publication on Monday, working with our pagination team in Hamilton.
The two days off in lieu during the week are flexible, and occasional weekends off can be arranged on a case-by-case basis.
The job is remote as The Examiner no longer has a physical office. Equipment will be provided, with compensation for mileage and mobile phone use as well as a comprehensive benefits package.
The successful candidate must have demonstrated ability in:
- Coordinating with the local news editor to consistently produce interesting and local newsworthy stories told in traditional and non-traditional ways.
- Producing high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Producing engaging multi-media content for website and social media outlets, including video and audio posts.
- Travel throughout the community to capture events and information outside of structured work hours including evenings and weekends.
- Diploma or Degree in Journalism or in a related field.
- Experience in a newspaper newsroom
- Familiar with content management systems, website software, social media and other applications
- Self-starter with the ability to exercise solid news judgment.
- Work independently on weekends and make the quick decisions a daily newspaper requires
- Competent in using social media and with solid on-line posting skills.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and especially written skills (Canadian Press Style).
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline driven, digital first and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual who can build professional relationships with team members.
- Experience in data analysis, mapping, photography, video and broadcasting are assets.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver's license.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.