The Parry Sound North Star is looking for an energetic and keen general assignment reporter who is skilled in storytelling for both digital and print platforms.
- Coordinate with the Managing Editor to generate fresh and interesting local news and feature stories.
- Be able to adapt to an environment where news and information is updated frequently, and the work atmosphere demands urgency.
- Produce high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Understand the value of information, large and small, and the connection between what is being reported on and our readers.
- Produce engaging content for all platforms – print, website and social media.
- Provide comprehensive and engaging coverage of municipal government and other duties as assigned.
- Diploma or degree in journalism or in a related field.
- A motivated self-starter who is an innovative, driven journalist with the ability to write clean copy and take photos.
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic.
- Competent in social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and possess online posting skills.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual who can build professional relationships with team members and the community.
- Well-versed in Canadian libel law and Canadian Press style.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to work remotely.
- Must be able to travel within the community for assignments.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. All submissions will be treated as confidential.
Diversity & Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
Torstar Corporation remains committed to its employees and to providing a safe workplace. As of November 30, 2021, candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and successful candidates must agree to obtain any additional vaccinations or booster dose(s) that may be required. Proof of such vaccination will be required. We will make accommodation for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.