Metroland Media is a progressive media organization with a long and distinguished history. Its businesses include more than 70 weekly community newspapers in Ontario, including Niagara, Hamilton, Halton, Haldimand, Guelph, Waterloo, Cambridge, New Hamburg, Orangeville, Peel, Toronto, York, Durham, Simcoe, Muskoka, Parry Sound, North Bay, Kawartha, and the Ottawa Valley. Metroland’s parent company, Torstar Corporation, also publishes a number of regional daily newspapers.
In addition, Metroland Media offers flyer distribution services, omnichannel marketing solutions and parcel delivery. Our company is energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, collaborative, agile, results driven and focused.
Diversity & Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
The Copy Editing Centre at Torstar Communities Toronto office (Finch Ave. and Hwy. 404) is looking for a part-time Copy Editor to work with the Torstar Communities complete footprint of community newspapers.
- Rewriting and editing articles on a variety of content subjects and areas.
- Using copy editing skills to enhance quality output in print and online.
- Understanding and flagging libel and defamation.
- Working on evenings and/or weekends as required.
- Degree or Diploma in Journalism or a related field, including English or Communications, or other relevant experience.
- Ability to manage content on a variety of platforms for numerous publications.
- A sharp eye for detail.
- Superb news judgement and solid knowledge of Canadian Press Style.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to adhere to a common standard.
- An engaged consumer of news with a passion for words and strong rewriting abilities.
- A stickler for grammar, sentence structure, spelling and punctuation.
- Familiarity with NewsGate is not essential but would be considered an asset.
- The successful candidate must be able to work quickly and decisively in a deadline-driven print and online news environment.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
Torstar Corporation remains committed to its employees and to providing a safe workplace. As of November 30, 2021, candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and successful candidates must agree to obtain any additional vaccinations or booster dose(s) that may be required. Proof of such vaccination will be required. We will make accommodation for qualifying medical or religious exemptions.