Support Operations Developer, Data Engineering
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar is a farseeing progressive media company with a long, proud history of delivering content to readers for over a century, and a passion for embracing the opportunities created by the rapidly evolving world of digital and mobile media.
The Data Engineering Team currently seeks a passionate professional to join us as a Support Operations Developer. We are looking for an individual who will provide end-to-end implementation support for ETL, analytics, process, and machine learning solutions. The ideal candidate will help to ensure stakeholder expectations are met, while writing and promoting the writing of high-quality code and ensuring production issues are quickly resolved with intelligent solutions.
- Prioritize production issues in data pipelines and ensure they are addressed in the right timeframe
- Review code and suggest robust and scalable solutions and provide clear trails for auditing
- Ensure development code is reviewed and tested carefully for scalability and accountability when promoting to production
- Develop new solutions related to data analytics using a wide array of open source libraries and Python, driving business value
- Review and document problems related to production and in-development code-based data pipelines and solutions
- Gather and collect knowledge from the team and ensure uniformity in development practices amongst team members
Who You Are…
- Inspired to design, develop and document the data engineering roadmap, supporting enterprise-wide analytics, data visualization, machine learning and code-driven data transformation processes
- A liaison between team members, able to align overall development practices as well as review all code before promotion to ensure uniformity within the team and alignment with industry best practices
- A compelling and clear communicator, able to craft a long-term vision, set goals to meet them, and represent your team’s best work to stakeholders with varying levels of technical fluency
- A team-oriented and collaborative individual with a demonstrated aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies, methods, and tools to solve complex business problems
- Driven to build strong strategic partnerships with key data and analytics professionals as well as internal clients and stakeholders
What You Will Bring To The Team…
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science or engineering or relevant work experience
- 1-2+ years experience with data focused development as your main role
- Knowledge of RDBMS, SQL, and noSQL
- Experience writing high quality code in python
- Hands-on experience with any or all the following: Docker, Airflow, and/or Jenkins
- Experience building and optimizing technical environments in the cloud such as AWS, Azure or GCP
- Working knowledge of AWS Kinesis, Lambda, RDS, DynamoDB, EMR or related tool sets in other cloud environments in considered an asset
- Experience reviewing, improving, and debugging production-level issues with other’s code
- Experience in digital media is considered an asset.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.