Human Resources Generalist
- 901 Guelph Line, Burlington, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
Diversity & Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
The Human Resources Generalist will work in partnership with our operations business leaders to provide consultative HR support and implement successful HR practices to assist the business in achieving their objectives. This position reports directly to the HR Manager, Operations.
The incumbent will be able to build strong relationships with leaders and employees, providing exceptional customer focus on Human Resources' programs, policies, processes, practices, technology, and tools.
This role requires a good understanding of and experience in HR generalist capabilities, such as employee relations, performance management, recruitment, compensation, learning and development, labour relations and HRIS systems. You also bring enthusiasm and curiosity about our business to build the knowledge and understanding of the teams you are supporting. You bring excitement and positivity to your work!
- Provide Human Resources advice, counsel and coaching to management and employees.
- Act as their key contact in dealing with a broad range of human resources policies and procedures, and employee relations matters.
- Ensure legal compliance with all applicable laws.
- Maintain a consistent application of Human Resources policies and procedures, salary administration, and performance management through ongoing discussion and communication with managers and staff.
- Assist and coach managers in progressive discipline and termination issues.
- Manage full cycle recruiting, including advertising, screening, interviewing, reference checking and preparing offer letters to qualified candidates.
- Lead the Onboarding process, ensuring a new hire is appropriately welcomed to our organization and provided with all relevant information to begin their career journey with us.
- Develop and maintain a strong network of contacts and build strong relationships with educational institutions (job fairs) and community associations to help identify and source qualified candidates.
- Leverage appropriate tools including online recruiting resources, internet solutions and in-house systems to proactively identify and recruit top talent.
- Manage the Exit Interview process, including analyzing feedback for trends.
- General HR administrative responsibilities, including employee correspondence, adhoc/monthly/annual reports, HR analysis, etc.
- Entry of employee data into our HRIS system, and overall responsibility for employee information management.
- Assist the Health and Safety Centre of Excellence to ensure Health and Safety practices are in place with all necessary documents and updates, as needed and required by law.
- Assist with WSIB claims and correspondence with team members and department managers regarding the Early and Safe Return to Work Program.
- Assist with other Human Resources projects and initiatives as a member of the Torstar Human Resources Team.
- 1 to 3 years’ experience in Human Resources
- A university degree and an HR post-graduate program diploma
- Solid understanding and proven past application of pertinent employment related legislation including but not limited to Employment Standards, Human Rights and Occupational Health & Safety
- A self-starter and team player
- Proven accountability and ownership for tasks and assignments given
- Strong integrity with the ability to maintain confidentiality and manage highly sensitive information
- You have strong attention to detail and can juggle priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and build relationships proactively with employees at all levels
- Demonstrated emotional intelligence and intuitive decision making
- Excellent follow up and time-management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Driver’s License required, travel between locations will be required occasionally (approx. 25% of time), includes but not limited to: Toronto, Niagara, Hamilton, Halton, Caledonia, Kitchener Waterloo & Guelph
- CHRP designation is an asset
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.