- 65 Lorne Street, Smiths Falls, Canada
Metroland Media is a progressive media organization with a long and distinguished history. Its businesses include more than 70 weekly community newspapers in Ontario, including the Smiths Falls Record. Metroland’s parent company, Torstar Corporation, also publishes a number of regional daily newspapers.
In addition, Metroland Media offers flyer distribution services, omnichannel marketing solutions and parcel delivery. Our company is energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative.
Diversity and Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, colour, religion, national origin, status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status or any other factor protected by law.
The Smiths Falls Record is currently recruiting for a temporary full time reporter (12 month contract).
- Coordinate with the Managing Editor to generate fresh and interesting local news and feature stories.
- Produce high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Produce engaging content for all platforms – print, website and social media.
- Explore alternative story forms, online and in print, for maximized reader engagement.
- Report, write, assign and edit in a breaking news environment where the primary focus is on digital information.
- Be able to adapt to an environment where news and information is updated frequently, and the work atmosphere demands urgency.
- Post content to website and social media on daily basis.
- Must be well-versed in Canadian Libel Law and Canadian Press Style.
- Travel throughout the community to capture events and information
- Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma or degree in journalism or in a related field.
- A motivated self-starter who is an innovative, driven journalist with the ability to write clean copy, take photos and shoot video.
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic.
- Competent in social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and possess online posting skills.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual that can build professional relationships with team members.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver's licence.
- Must be able to work remotely.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.