Associate Art Director, The Kit
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
The Kit is a modern media brand, which uses the power of digital, print and social to tell rich, engaging, authentically multi-platform stories. The Kit connects with readers by offering Canada’s most compelling beauty, style and culture content: breaking news, beautiful photo shoots, editor-approved shopping lists, and thoughtful trend features. Above all, the content makes the reader feel seen, and reflected back in the best possible light: strong, smart, capable of anything.
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven. The successful candidate will be a champion of those priorities while keeping the customer at the heart of all of the creative work that s/he will be doing.
The Associate Art Director supports The Kit art team by creating captivating, cohesive visuals.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Conceptualize and create elevated digital imagery, with guidance from The Kit art team
- Conceptualize and create social assets for all social channels
- Assist with planning for shoots, both off-figure and on-figure
- Coordinate and oversee some freelance deadlines and scheduling within the art department
- Occasionally assist with print production (clipping paths, colour correcting images, sending files to the printer)
- Uphold the quality, values and characteristics, and evolving visual identity of The Kit brand
- Minimum three years of graphic design education at a college or university level
- Minimum two years of work experience in a design environment
- Intuitive understanding of digital and social, and the ability to create engaging visual experiences on those platforms
- Extremely collaborative approach with tons of ideas
- Openness to feedback
- Expert knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Retouching skills are an asset
- Photo shoot experience is an asset
- Video and podcast experience are an asset
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.