Deputy Director of Content
- 175 Gordon Baker Road, Toronto, Canada
Metroland is a dynamic Company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, provides local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland.
Metroland's diverse array of on-line products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bringing new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com.
Metroland is seeking three experienced editorial managers to join its leadership team as deputy directors of content.
- Assist the Director of Content in the efficient operation of Metroland’s editorial operation, and provide leadership of specific projects and initiatives as required;
- Directly lead a team of managers, editors and reporters across multiple geographic markets;
- Support change and transformation across multiple newsrooms in support of Torstar’s subscription business and an evolving community business model;
- Assume a leadership role in driving community engagement, including, but not limited to, the ongoing operation of Metroland’s advisory councils;
- Build and foster a diverse and inclusive environment, including in the workforce and workplace, and through content and community engagement;
- Under the direction of the Director of Content, and in collaboration with managing editors, develop and evolve the community content strategy for print and online products;
- Take a lead role in the ongoing training and development of Metroland journalists;
- Apply metrics and analytics to help us determine how to best reach our audiences;
- Degree or Diploma in Journalism or in a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years experience as a leader of a high functioning, successful news organization, along with comprehensive knowledge of media and emerging industry trends, including comprehensive knowledge of digital transformation in the industry.
- Ability to think strategically through projects and communicate ideas effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a large volume of competing priorities, shifting gears as necessary with a resilient approach.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and especially written skills
- Eagerness to embrace change in an evolving industry with articulate vision.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to multitask and excel in a fast-paced, deadline driven and demanding environment, driven for results.
- Team-oriented individual with strong leadership skills who can demonstrate their ability to work collaboratively and effectively with internal teams using respect and diplomacy to get desired results.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements