Optimization Specialist, Analytics
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
Torstar Corporation is a broadly-based media company. Its businesses include the Toronto Star, Canada’s largest daily newspaper, six regional daily newspapers in Ontario including The Hamilton Spectator, and more than 70 weekly community newspapers in Ontario; flyer distribution services; and digital properties including thestar.com (with local editions in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Halifax), wheels.ca, toronto.com, save.ca, and a number of local and regional news sites. Torstar also holds a majority interest in VerticalScope, a North American vertically-focused digital media company.
The Toronto Star is Canada’s largest daily newspaper and is read in print and across desktop, mobile and tablet platforms by more than 6 million readers every week. Online, thestar.com is one of the most-visited newspaper websites in Canada.
What do we do?
We are a customer-centric team that builds Torstar’s digital experiences across the web and app ecosystem. We do this with passion and care greatly about supporting Torstar's aim as a news organization which is to engage in the full and frank dissemination of news and opinion and to do so working within the highest standards of journalistic integrity.
Where are we?
We are all over the world, but this gig is located at our downtown Toronto office in Canada. Currently, the Digital team is working remotely.
How do you fit in?
Help us measure and share information about our digital products. We are looking for a talented, budding, Analytics Specialist to join our Digital Product team.
What will you do?
- Manage site settings and monitor data within analytics tools such as Adobe Analytics, Parse.ly, Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics;
- Ensure integrity of harvested data, and dashboards;
- Ensure multiple analytic suites have consistent operational principles;
- Ensure solid business goals from requesters: fulfill requests that require deeper analytics application knowledge and/or data research;
- Build dashboards that illustrate product KPIs;
- Train and maintain required product team knowledge for analytics participation;
- Maintain dashboards and analytic data;
- Provide clear and timely stories that give developers appropriate instructions on how to implement tagging, or data storage in order to enable tagging;
- Support UAT process and ensure that dev solutions meet business requirements;
- Assist additional business units with reporting requirements and delivery (dashboards or post-development);
- Enable organization to understand and make use of analytics concepts, platforms and dashboards;
- Keep all Torstar properties in sync in terms of technologies and implementation standards.
What do you need to have?
- Excellent communication skills
- Analytical and problem solving mindset
- Ability to tell stories through presented data
- Web analytics and/or data science experience
- Attention to detail
Nice to have:
- Previous experience in media
- Development or QA experience
What are the perks?
- Conveniently located in downtown Toronto (1 Yonge Street)
- Friday office socials (now all virtually)
- Free digital subscription to thestar.com while you work with us
- Team events
- The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment.
And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.