- 475 Thompson Dr, Cambridge, ON N1T 2K7, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
Metroland Media is a dynamic media company delivering vital business and community information to millions of readers across Ontario each week. With a healthy product offering in-print, online, trade shows and distribution networks, no target is unreachable. We are Ontario's largest and most successful community news and information source, providing local news and multi-media marketing solutions in Canada's heartland. Metroland's diverse array of online products are visited by over 4 million unique visitors each month and print products are in the hands of more than 4.5 million customers a week. We continuously bring new and acquired online products to market in order to provide our customers with a one-stop, comprehensive marketing solution. To connect with us, visit www.metroland.com.
Diversity & Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
The Cambridge Times is currently recruiting for a temporary full time Reporter/Photographer. This is a 10-month contract position ending in March 2022 funded through Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative.
- Coordinate with editors to generate fresh and interesting local news and feature stories.
- Be able to adapt to an environment where news and information is updated frequently, and the work atmosphere demands urgency.
- Produce high-quality, trustworthy journalism using excellent reporting and researching skills, including data analysis.
- Understand the value of information, large and small, and the connection between what is being reported on and our readers.
- Produce engaging content for all platforms – print, website and social media.
- The successful applicant will report for Torstar Community Brands in Waterloo Region with a hyper local focus on civic issues in Cambridge, Ontario.
- Diploma or degree in journalism or in a related field.
- A motivated self-starter who is an innovative, driven journalist with the ability to write clean copy, take photos and shoot video.
- Proven news judgment and a strong work ethic.
- Competent in social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and possess online posting skills.
- Effective organizational skills, ability to manage time and prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment.
- Team-oriented individual that can build professional relationships with team members.
- Must be prepared to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
- Must be able to travel within the community for assignments.
- Must have access to a reliable vehicle and valid driver's licence. Must be able to work remotely.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview of your requirements.