Journalism Roles (Future Opportunities) - Toronto Star
- 1 Yonge Street, Toronto, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
Torstar Corporation is a progressive media organization with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. Torstar’s vision for success is driven by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile, collaborative and results driven.
The Toronto Star is Canada’s largest daily newspaper and is read in print and across desktop, mobile and tablet platforms by more than 6 million readers every week. Online, thestar.com is one of the most-visited newspaper websites in Canada.
Diversity & Inclusion
Torstar Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Torstar is committed to ensuring employment opportunity to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, family status or disability or any other factor protected by law.
Journalism Roles (Future Opportunities)
Don’t see anything posted that interests you right now? We are always looking for talented & diverse individuals for upcoming journalism opportunities at the Toronto Star. Whether you are a new graduate or a veteran reporter who is interested in providing a voice to your community and reporting on meaningful issues, or a seasoned editor looking to continue to grow their career, we want to hear from you.
If you would like to join our editorial talent pool to be considered for future opportunities, please submit your resume and complete the application questionnaire. Be sure to also include a cover letter and samples of your work.
When a new position that matches your background and experience becomes available, we will reach out to you directly at that time to review the opportunity in more detail. Preference will be given to diverse candidates.
Note: This posting is for future opportunities and not for an active or specific position. As such, you may not hear back from us immediately.
- Cover letter
- If you have relevant examples of your work, please submit up to 3 examples as part of your submission
Potential Editorial Positions Available: Full-Time, Part-Time, Temporary and Contract positions may include:
Your digital media skills and strong news judgment will help you package, enhance, and promote Star journalism so that it makes a meaningful impact on our community and beyond. Digital Producers respond to breaking news, curate and manage the Star’s homepage, and analyze and respond to audience patterns online and on social media.
You are an experienced audio producer and host who can pitch and develop newsworthy stories, interview guests on air, and find insightful ways to expand on Star journalism through the podcast medium.
Journalists are able to report and write authoritatively on breaking news while providing perspective and analysis. You will collaborate with colleagues throughout the newsroom and think beyond traditional narratives to produce stories that are accurate, comprehensive, and compelling. You are digitally savvy and are comfortable experimenting with new forms of storytelling.
Team Editors are highly collaborative leaders who combine expertise in journalism with knowledge of presentation and production. As a team editor, you will perform and/or supervise editing, assigning, writing, and production duties, guiding the work of staff and freelancers while providing a supportive teaching environment for your team.
Depending On The Role, You Will:
- Report, write, assign and edit in a breaking news environment
- Be able to adapt to an environment where news and information are updated frequently, and the work atmosphere demands urgency
- Engage with and respond to digital audience metrics and data analytics tools that help drive subscriptions
- Report engaging stories and digital content for multi-platforms
- Understand how to explore, create, navigate and publish information using non-traditional storytelling methods and emerging information platforms
- Understand and demonstrate the use of digital tools and diversity of information such as social media links, embedded content and video work
What we are looking for:
- Diploma or Degree in Journalism or related field, including Applied Arts/Communications, or other relevant experience
- Superb news judgment
- Advanced journalism skills with a broad knowledge of local, national, and international issues
- An engaged and creative consumer of news, ready to constantly pitch story ideas
- Demonstrated skills using social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and posting content online
- Strong verbal and especially written skills with a strong knowledge of Canadian Press Style
- Relentlessly high standards; detail-oriented, deadline-driven, and able to simultaneously manage multiple projects
- Passion, energy, creativity
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven and demanding environment
- A team-oriented individual who can build professional relationships with team members. Be comfortable with ambiguity and the ability to work collaboratively and independently
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.